The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Jen was born after the Great War. Her parents had a complicated relationship, both former Chinese spies who fell in love despite it being forbidden. Because Jen's birth was completely unsanctioned, she was never indoctrinated into communist thought like her parents were from birth, but Jen still knew of her parent's occupation as spies and still learned Chinese from them. Despite her heritage, she has lived in America for her entire life, mostly in the Capital Wasteland.
Sometime around 2092, her mother Mochou mysteriously disappeared, leaving her and her father alone. Assuming she was dead, the two moved on. Her father fell to the horrors of the wasteland soon after, and Jen buried him in his stealth suit because she could not get it off.
By 2103, Jen arrived at Appalachia from the Capital Wasteland. She soon met up with Paige and his group of Settlers somewhere north of Spruce Knob. Since then, she has fallen in with the residents at Foundation, working mostly as a scout for the settlement. She is also pulling her weight as a talented electrical engineer, familiar with all sorts of high end, especially Chinese technology, but does not give that away for fear of how Great War survivors might react. However, she is not adept at hacking and usually collaborates with other people when working on robots. She and the Foundation settlers were planning to pick apart one of the air purifiers in the Ash Heap in order to make them work again. Jen is good friends with Samuel, whom occasionally joins in scavenging hunts. She also relies on him when she needs help.
Since Penelope Hornwright's arrival, Jen and the doctor have become friends and colleagues. Jen states Penny is very smart and will teach her "loads of fun things" involving tech. The two have also been working on the Liberator that the Vault Dwellers brought them. Jen is hoping to turn it into a "soothing personal assistant," and has named it "Reco." Jen has also befriended the dog Private Lucky, with whom she occasionally cuddles.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Invisible Ties: The player character must track down a functioning Chinese stealth suit for Jen but stumbles across a familial connection to Jen.
- Division of Wealth: Jen waits in Freddy Fear's basement with the rest of the group.
- All That Glitters: Jen helps the player break into Vault 79 by bypassing laser grids.
After the completion of Invisible Ties, Jen will award the player character with plans for the Chinese stealth armor and helmet. She will also give them a note, Note from Jen, which states that she managed to find plans for standard Chinese stealth armor, though it is not as advanced as the prototype she wore. At this point in the story, however, she had not yet used or worn the stealth suit, having only just acquired it earlier in the quest.
Effects of player's actions
Jen has multiple endings and outcomes as a result of the player's actions during the main quest of Wastelanders. A choice will be presented during Invisible Ties to either kill Mochou, or with a high enough Charisma or Intelligence, convince her to spare Mochou.
- If the player character is able to convince Jen to find a way to spare Mochou, Jen will stay in Foundation after All That Glitters. During the quest she will mention she's going to help her mother settle in Foundation, and her plans of finding a doctor that can change Mochou's face thanks to a tip from Samuel. "Jen's journal, entry 1" can then be found on the table in her room. Mochou can also be found in Jen's room, now wearing a green laundered dress instead of the stealth armor.
- If the player character chooses to kill Mochou, Jen will express disappointment and ask to talk once she gets back to Foundation. She will continue to work with Foundation until All That Glitters, in which she will mention she's going to bury her mother beside her father to the north in the Capital Wasteland, and that Samuel will accompany her. After the quest, she will be removed from the Founder's Hall, leaving only the "Jen's goodbye" holotape in her room, which details her wishes to leave Foundation.
- If the player chooses to treat her poorly during Invisible Ties, Jen will steal a portion of the gold during the Vault 79 raid and leave entirely, leaving a message for the Vault Dweller behind.
|Nuka-World geyser shirt & jeans
Nuka-World geyser jacket & jeans (Invisible Ties)
Chinese stealth armor (All That Glitters)
- While Jen says most people are scared of the scorchbeasts, she mentions that she finds radtoads more disturbing.
- Jen and Samuel seem to have a fairly strong relationship. He states that she has style that he can respect. It is implied that Samuel has a romantic interest in her, though it is never shown whether or not she shares this interest.
- According to Captain Fields, she constantly bickers with Sergeant Radcliff. This can be seen during the Vault 79 raid, where they will occasionally lightly argue or fight. Captain Fields excuses Jen due to her young age, but holds Radcliff to a much higher standard.
- Unlike the Chinese stealth armor the player character can craft themselves, her prototype suit can cloak at any time rather than exclusively while crouching. This has its limitations, as the suit will occasionally fritz out and stop functioning. She will make note of this when it occurs.
- Even if Jen is no longer present in Foundation, characters such as Paige, Samuel, Captain Fields, and other unnamed settlers will reference her as though she is still in Foundation.
- Jen and Radcliff are very capable in combat, even against enemies of similar or higher level.
- "How can someone do that to their own child, though? How do you just leave them to make their own way in this world? It's asking a lot for me to forgive her."
[verification overdue]If the player character chooses to speak to her in the Gold Operations Center during Division of Wealth, she may still talk about leaving to bury her mother in the Capital Wasteland, even if Mochou was not killed. Both she and her mother will still be in Foundation regardless of this.
- Settler: "Hiya Davie, how're you today?"
Davie Taylor: "Ah, I'm okay. A little bored, though."
Settler: "Did you hear that Jen and Samuel found a bunch of comics on the last scavenger run?"
Davie Taylor: "Wow, really? I gotta ask Dad if we can trade for some. Thanks!"
(Settler and Davie Taylor's dialogue)
- Vault Dweller: "What do you do around here?"
Jen: "Mostly, I keep an eye on the area around Foundation. I look for good things to bring back, and keep and eye out for anything hazardous. If the super mutants are on the move, or a bunch of scorched move into the area, Ward needs to know as soon as possible."
- Vault Dweller: "Where did you all come from?"
Jen: "Oh, I joined up with them north of here a while back. They seem to be from all over this region. My family used to live in what's now the Capital Wasteland."
- Vault Dweller: "What's China like?"
Jen: "I honestly have no idea. I was born here sometime after the war and I've lived here my whole life. Mostly in the Capital Wasteland. My parents didn't talk about it much. I know they didn't want to go back, that they weren't supposed to have me or fall in love with each other. We were just a normal family of survivors, except sometimes my parents had to go do things. Then one day my mom just never came home."
- Jen: "The entry you're looking for would have been broadcast daily since about... 11 years ago."
- Vault Dweller: "What's "the next part" that you mentioned?"
Jen: "I need to find someone good with robots. I'm alright with electrical stuff, but it's a software issue."
- Vault Dweller: "You should ask Doctor Penelope Hornwright for help when you see her."
Jen: "I feel like I recognize that name... is she good with robots? I can do electrical stuff but hacking and whatnot is beyond me."
- Vault Dweller: "You probably recognize her last name from her family business."
Jen: "Ohh, of course! We were planning to pick apart one of those air purifiers to see if we could get them going again. I'll have to ask her about that too."
- Vault Dweller: "So are you and Penny friends now?"
Jen: "Sure, Penny's great. She's super smart and has promised to teach me loads of fun things. We've been working on overhauling that little liberator you nabbed. I'm making it into a soothing personal assistant. Or that's the goal. It's still a work in progress!"
- Jen: "Hey, have you seen Reco wandering around?"
- Jen: "Sorry, can't talk. Private Lucky and I have an important mission to go on. Operation: Cuddle Time."
- Vault Dweller: "What're you going to do now?"
Jen: "I'm going to help my mom get settled in at Foundation, show her all our decadent consumerist ways. Samuel told us about a doctor who can change your face... so we might look at doing that down the road. If they can do it for a ghoul."