Jean-Baptiste Cutting is the head of security for the Mojave Wasteland branch of the Van Graffs weapons empire and Gloria Van Graff's right-hand man, living at the Silver Rush weapon shop in Freeside in 2281.
Background[edit | edit source]
Around 2281, Cutting has taken on the role of an enforcer, becoming the backbone of the Van Graff family security forces. He works in the Silver Rush alongside his half-sister, Gloria, who he refers to as "Glory" and does his part in the politics of their operations in the only way he knows how; with the barrel of his laser rifle. He has Cutting as a surname, as opposed to Van Graff because his mother liked his father so much that she wanted Jean-Baptiste to have his father's last name.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Birds of a Feather, Heartache by the Number: Jean-Baptiste wants to have a little chat with a woman called "Cassidy." The Courier will need to find her, and bring her back to the Silver Rush. This quest requires committing to either the Van Graffs or Cass as it is not possible to satisfy both parties. Jean Baptiste's death means immediate fail of Birds of a Feather quest.
- Tend to Your Business: Jean-Baptiste will need to be killed along with all the Van Graff employees at the Silver Rush as a show of loyalty to the Brotherhood of Steel under Elder Hardin.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Black combat armor||Laser rifle||30x - 45x microfusion cells
1x - 8x Drained microfusion cells (75% chance)
Van Graff key
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Jean-Baptiste Cutting has high health, more than most companions, as well as an exceptionally high 117 Energy Weapons skill.
- He is taller than the Courier, similar to the heights of Sammy Wins and Cursor Lucullus.
- While armed with a laser rifle, he will usually pick up the plasma caster in the middle of the store if engaged in combat, unless it was previously stolen by the Courier.
- During Birds of a Feather, when he confronts Cass and shoots her, he might shoot the floor or ceiling and Cass will still die. This is because he is one of the only NPCs in the game that is fixed to kill another NPC by his own actions (i.e. through a quest).
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Jean-Baptiste Cutting appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If Jean-Baptiste is killed, his body sometimes cannot be looted. On PC, his inventory can be accessed through console by selecting the body with the mouse and entering activate player. This will bypass the activation script on the character and force the default interaction. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Jean-Baptiste has been known to disappear from the game.[verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Courier: "How come your last name isn't Van Graff?"
Jean-Baptiste: "Unlike most of my brothers and sisters, Mama didn't get sick of my father and get rid of him. He died right before I was born. Mama had liked him so much, she made me use his last name. Said he deserved that much at least, since he never got to meet me or nothin'."
(Jean-Baptiste Cutting's dialogue)