James is looking for prostitutes for his escort service. Speaking to him can begin the quest Wang Dang Atomic Tango which, despite the dubious connotations, does not give any negative karma.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the - perk.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Wang Dang Atomic Tango: James asks the Courier to find him some strange escorts for his hotel.
- Talent Pool: James also needs to be convinced to let go of Hadrian's contract so he could work at The Aces in The Tops.
- Big Winner, Atomic Wrangler: After winning 5,000 chips from gambling at the Atomic Wrangler, James gets fed up and doesn't allow you to gamble there anymore.
- Friend of the Followers: If the Followers of the Apocalypse fix the Garrets' stills, James Garret will donate supplies to them.
- Long-Term Care: James will give Med-X to the Followers in exchange for some knowledge.
The player can pay James to increase their reputation in Freeside.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Grimy pre-War businesswear||-||Atomic Wrangler bank key
Atomic Wrangler upstairs key
- After completing "Wang Dang Atomic Tango," it is revealed that he has a particular sexual interest in robots. It is also suspected that the "escorts" the Courier hires are not for a wealthy customer but actually for him.
- If the Courier is attacked by Benny's bodyguards during Ring-a-Ding-Ding!, he will compliment the Courier on beating "Benny's goon squad" and give you a free bottle of liquor.
- If Francine and everyone else in the Wrangler is killed and James is not, attempting to talk to him will result in him talking in a drunken slur, and the player will not be able to engage speech with him again.
- If the player goes behind the counter both Garrets will go after the courier but never attack, just warning the courier to go away.
James Garret appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
- After completing the unmarked quest which upgrades the stills, he should be supplied with two new beverages. However, they will not appear. A fix (tested on latest patch) is talking to James Garret and asking "How's Business" which sometimes, at random, triggers him mentioning Jacob Hoff being sober as well as the addition of absinthe and a unique beverage known as Rum & Nuka. Every time this dialogue is triggered, he restocks more absinthe and/or Rum & Nuka to his supply instantly. The "instant restock" exploit will not restock these two beverages.