House-proud and vehemently opposed to outside influences, the Smiths are a strange but reasonably friendly bunch. Jack seems to be Andale's patriarch, and he knows the best little town in America is here, where Linda bakes a delicious meat pie!
Presenting himself as a loyal U.S. citizen and father, Jack and his wife (and sister) Linda have a son Junior Smith. While his wife cooks and cleans the house, he goes to work with his neighbor (and brother) Bill Wilson in the "family business." In this enterprise, they preserve and maintain a centuries-long local tradition: cannibalism. Wastelanders passing through are allowed by the local families to stay in town and become accustomed to the warm attitude and reception of them. This facade is meant to catch the travelers off-guard when they are killed by the residents.
Jack reveals himself as a political conservative when chatting to the player character, stating that in elections held in Andale, he never votes for "those beatnik liberal commies," instead claiming that it is "every American's civic duty to cast his vote for his favorite Republican candidate."
Interactions with the player character
|This character drops a finger when killed (Lawbringer).|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Our Little Secret: Like all residents of Andale, Jack Smith is a cannibal. Uncover their secret and choose to let them continue their slaughter of wasteland inhabitants, or kill them all.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Dirty pre-War spring outfit||Sawed-off shotgun||Strange meat||Andale basement key|
- "The only difference between us is that that I'm bringing home the bacon for my family."
- "We win town of the year every year, we've got no end of food, and no troubles at all."
- "Well, I guess we know where our next meal is coming from"
Jack Smith appears only in Fallout 3.
- The Lone Wanderer: "Huh. Well, everyone's got to survive in their own way, I guess."
Jack Smith: "You see, now that's nice to hear. Every time someone discovers our little secret, it's always "oh, you're terrible people", or "how can you do this?" I mean, I've got a family to take care of here. I've lived in Andale my whole life. And my father before me, and his father, and his father's father. This town started out with just four families, and that's the way we've stayed. Small town and proud, eh?"
(Jack Smith's dialogue)
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.77: "Jack Smith
House-proud and vehemently opposed to outside influences, the Smiths are a strange but reasonably friendly bunch. Jack seems to be Andale's patriarch, and he knows the best little town in America is here, where Linda bakes a delicious meat pie!"
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- The Lone Wanderer:"I almost grabbed a snack while I was there, but that would have been rude."
Jack Smith: "You're right, it sure would have. You know, you're a breath of fresh air. Every time someone discovers our little secret, we have to hear about it.
It's always "oh, how can you do this", or "you're such terrible people", or "please, not me, I have a kid in Rivet City". Well, I have kids too! "
Jack Smith's dialogue