As part of the Vault Experiment, experimental psychoactive drugs were released into the air filtration system of Vault 106 ten days after the door was sealed. The drugs affected some, but not all residents. This is evidenced by the note To anyone who gets this, which was apparently written by someone who was not affected. It seems as though the drugs sparked violence in those they affected, resulting in the "insane" killing everybody else in the vault, leaving only a few survivors.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character has no special interactions.|
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Vault 106 jumpsuits||Assorted melee weapons|
- None of the insane survivors of Vault 106 have Pip-boys on their arms, suggesting that they are not original inhabitants.
- If the Lone Wanderer is hidden nearby, the insane survivors will speak calmly and normally to each other, greeting each other politely.
- In lockers near the entrance common wasteland apparel such as leather armor can be found, suggesting they entered the Vault and changed into a Vault 106 jumpsuit.
- Insane Survivors are armed with a Chinese officer's sword or a combat knife, items that would be common in the wasteland but impossible to find in a vault.
- The note entitled "To anyone who gets this" is found behind a locked door inside the vault along with multiple skeletons, further evidencing that the insane 'survivors' are newcomers. And, along with all terminal entries, is referring to incidents that occurred over 200 years prior to the Lone Wanderer entering.
Insane survivors appear only in Fallout 3.