|1||LCK 5||You're not stupid! Just... different. Randomly receive 3x XP from any action, and the lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001D245E|
|2||LCK 5, LVL 11||You now randomly receive 5x XP from any action. The lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001D245F|
|3||LCK 5, LVL 34||Randomly receiving bonus XP from any action may trigger 3x XP for all kills for a short period of time. The lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001D2460|
For ranks 1 and 2, the perk randomly activates whenever one gains experience from any source. At 1 Intelligence, the chance of activation is 11%, and one loses 1% per added point of Intelligence. The chance minimizes at 1% at Intelligence 11 or higher.
When the perk activates, a laughing Vault-Boy appears above the compass, and one of several possible laughing sounds are heard. The experience that would have been earned will instead be boosted to 3x (for rank 1) or 5x (for rank 2+). This boost is multiplicative with any normally additive experience bonuses from being Well Rested or having a high Intelligence.
The probability for the "kill bonus" from rank 3 appears to be independent of the bonus experience from rank 1 and 2. The effect lasts 60 seconds.
Comparison to Intelligence
|Intelligence||Multiplier from INT||Chance||Average at Perk Level||Overall at Perk Level|
When comparing a perk point to put into higher Intelligence or Idiot Savant, one can compare benefits above. Each point in Intelligence improves experience gain by 3%. Consulting the above table, it can be seen that with two levels of this perk, average experience gain is optimized at 2 INT and actually drops with each additional Intelligence point until very high levels of Intelligence (15+).
- Idiot Savant events are tracked in the Pip-Boy Data under "Bright Ideas."
- When Idiot Savant rank 3's kill experience activates, it temporarily shuts off the chance of getting bonus experience, including the bonus experience that would have been gained from the action triggering the rank 3 ability. Because of this, rank 3 may be a net loss of expected experience, depending on play style.
- When the rank 3 of Idiot Savant triggers, a blank perk with no name, description or picture will appear at the top of the perk list under stats. This represents the temporary 3x XP kill bonus.
- Note that with only one level in this perk, more overall experience is gained by having a higher Intelligence score. Because the second rank of this Perk is not available until Level 11, a character with an Intelligence of 2 may actually find themselves at an experience deficit for several levels compared to a character with 10 or more Intelligence.
- The perk can trigger upon completing a quest, giving the player character a large amount of experience.
Behind the scenes
The term idiot savant is an obsolete term in psychology for Savant Syndrome, where a person is mentally challenged due to neurological disorders or brain injuries, but displays exceptional skill in a specific field such as art, arithmetic, music, or memory, far beyond what most neurotypical people can accomplish, such as recalling specific dates and times or re-playing a piece of music perfectly on piano after hearing it only once.
If the Idiot Savant perk activates when turning in a quest, one will sometimes not get the 3x or 5x multiple of experience points.[verified]