Effects[edit | edit source]
|1||LCK 5||You're not stupid! Just... different. Randomly receive 3x XP from any action, and the lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d245e|
|2||LCK 5, LVL 11||You now randomly receive 5x XP from any action. The lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d245f|
|3||LCK 5, LVL 34||Randomly receiving bonus XP from any action may trigger 3x XP for all kills for a short period of time. The lower your Intelligence, the greater the chance.||001d2460|
For ranks 1 and 2, the perk randomly activates whenever you gain experience from any source. At 1 Intelligence, the chance of activation is 11%, and you lose 1% per added point of Intelligence. The chance minimizes at 1% at Intelligence 11 or higher.
When the perk activates, you will see a laughing Vault-Boy above the compass, and hear a laughing sound. The experience you would have earned will instead be boosted to 3x (for rank 1) or 5x (for rank 2+). This boost is multiplicative with any normally additive experience bonuses from being well-rested or having a high Intelligence.
The probability for the "kill bonus" from rank 3 appears to be independent of the bonus experience from rank 1 and 2 and the probability of it triggering is currently unknown. The effect lasts 60 seconds.
Comparison to Intelligence[edit | edit source]
|Intelligence||Multiplier from INT||Chance||Average at Perk Level||Overall at Perk Level|
When comparing a perk point to put into higher Intelligence or Idiot Savant, it is worth comparing the returns you get. Each point in Intelligence improves experience gain by 3%. Consulting the above table, it can be seen that with two levels of this perk, average experience gain is optimized at 2 INT and actually drops with each additional Intelligence point until very high levels of Intelligence (15+).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- One can potentially exploit any quest for a huge amount of experience. This can be done via saving before finishing a quest and reloading the game until the perk triggers the multiplication.
- When turning in a quest where the final step requires speaking to someone, you can Quicksave mid-conversation just before the final lines of dialogue are spoken. This will save some time with reloading.
- Idiot Savant events are tracked in the Pip-Boy Data under "Bright Ideas".
- When Idiot Savant rank 3's kill experience activates, it temporarily shuts off the chance of getting bonus experience. Because of this, rank 3 may be a net loss of expected experience, depending on play style.
- When the 3rd rank of Idiot Savant triggers, a blank perk with no name, description or picture will appear at the top of the perk list under stats. This represents the temporary 3x XP kill bonus.
- Note that with only one level in this perk, more overall experience is gained by having a higher Intelligence score. Because the second rank of this Perk is not available until Level 11, a character with an Intelligence of 2 may actually find themselves at an experience deficit for several levels compared to a character with 10 or more Intelligence.
- Drinking an alcoholic consumable and using the You're SPECIAL book can further increase a character's Intelligence an additional point beyond 10, allowing a Level 2 character with a lab coat and Ushanka hat to have an effective Intelligence of 16 during night hours.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The term idiot savant is an obsolete term in psychology for Savant Syndrome, where a person is mentally challenged due to neurological disorders or brain injuries, but displays exceptional skill in a specific field such as art, arithmetic, music, or memory, far beyond what most neurotypical people can accomplish, such as recalling specific dates and times or re-playing a piece of music perfectly on piano after hearing it only once.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One If the Idiot Savant perk activates when turning in a quest, you will sometimes not get the 3x or 5x multiple of experience points.[verified]