Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
|Side Quest: I Fought the Law|
|Talk to Eddie and ask if he has any work.|
|Kill Chavez.||Convince Chavez to leave with a speech check.|
|Report back to Eddie and get your assignment.|
|Deal with a suspicious merchant near Jean Sky Diving.|
|Betray Eddie to the NCR, attacking the prison.||Kill the suspicious merchant and return to Eddie, defending the prison.|
|Reward: Various weapons, armor, ammunition and items from dead Powder Gangers and NCR troopers|
NCR fame, 300 XP
|Reward: Various weapons, armor, ammunition and items from dead Powder Gangers and NCR troopers|
Powder Gangers fame, 200 XP, 100 caps, 1 Mentats, 1 Psycho, 1 Buffout
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
This quest is given by Eddie at the NCR Correctional Facility in the administration building. He is the man sitting behind the desk on the second floor, surrounded by guards. Talking to him and asking how one can help out is all that is required to start this quest.
- If the Courier has acquired a "shunned" reputation with the Powder Gangers by completing the Ghost Town Gunfight, it will still be possible to talk to Eddie in order to receive this quest but assaulting anyone in the prison or gaining another level of infamy will turn the Powder Gangers hostile upon entering. Completing the Nipton quest, Booted or the Vault 19 quest, Why Can't We Be Friends? may provide a sufficient boost to one's faction reputation, provided one is not "Vilified." If the Powder Gangers are hostile still, one can talk to Eddie by using a Stealth Boy outside the entrance and sneaking all the way to Eddie (this however might not work). Stand up and immediately talk to Eddie and the quest can be initiated. A Stealth Boy will be required each time the player character goes back to talk to Eddie until the quest ends with the NCR confrontation. It is also possible to acquire Powder Gang simple outfit or any other Powder Gangers outfits (also including Powder Gang guard armor) to disguise oneself and infiltrate the camp, then take out everybody besides Eddie in the Administration Building with a silenced weapon.
Chavez[edit | edit source]
The first task is to "take care" of a Powder Ganger named Chavez, who Eddie believes is setting up his own crew without permission. He is located at Powder Ganger camp south, which is just south of the prison. He can either be convinced to "move on" with 30 Speech skill or killed. Talking to him without being able to pass the speech skill will result in combat. Killing him (and/or the other Powder Gangers with him) will not cause any reputation loss with the Powder Gangers, and his "crew" may not turn hostile if Chavez is killed in front of them. Killing him or his crew after convincing him to move on also does not cause any reputation loss with the Powder Gangers. after he is dealt with, return to Eddie and let him know Chavez is handled to gain Powder Gangers fame +1.
Traveling merchant[edit | edit source]
The second task is to "deal with" a suspicious traveling merchant residing at Jean Sky Diving. With an Intelligence of 6 or Speech skill of 30, one can convince him to reveal that he is actually a bounty hunter by pointing out that he lacks a pack brahmin to carry supplies and protection. One can try to shake him down for a "toll" (30 Speech required). The bounty hunter may attack even after he is convinced to leave, even if one is not dressed as a Powder Ganger. If the prior options fail, the merchant can be killed without Karma penalty. Once the merchant has been dealt with, report back to Eddie to gain Powder Gangers fame +1.
NCR attack[edit | edit source]
- 100 caps with no skill check
- 50 caps with Barter skill of 30
- 20 caps with a Barter skill of 30 and appointed a new sheriff to Primm
- Free if with a Speech skill of 30
Hayes will only tell the player character that military orders are classified, unless they already know - either by pickpocketing the "Military orders" off him, and/or by getting the information from Nash first. Once information has been acquired, one can either report back to Eddie or betray him to Lt. Hayes, and help the NCR take back the prison.
Side with Powder Gangers[edit | edit source]
If the player character reports back to Eddie, he will reward the with 1 Buffout, 1 Psycho, 1 Mentats, 100 caps, and 200 XP. He will say that the NCR is already here, and tell the player character to feel free to kill some of them on the way out. As soon as one exits the building, the assault will begin, and NCR troopers pour into the facility and attack. No reputation with the NCR will be lost for informing on them; however, all the soldiers assaulting the base will be hostile to the player character, which will likely cause NCR reputation loss as a result of fighting back (only if one kills any of the soldiers). Alternately, one can change into NCR armor before exiting the building, the NCR invaders will be neutral, but the Powder Gangers will be hostile.
If the Powder Gangers defeat the attackers one can speak with Eddie who will thank the player character. One will gain Powder Gangers fame +12.
Side with NCR[edit | edit source]
If one instead choose to betray Eddie to the NCR, one can choose the dialogue path with Lt. Hayes to offer assistance in the assault. He will tell the player character to rendezvous with Sergeant Lee, located just to the south east of the prison (on a hill, approximately in line between Powder Ganger camp south and the prison). Upon initiating dialogue with him, he will give the player character a short "briefing," and the assault will begin. The quest will end once Eddie is dead, but as the Powder Gangers will rush out into the courtyard for the battle, Eddie will most likely be one of the last Powder Gangers alive anyway. One will be awarded 300 XP for completing the quest, and gain reputation with the NCR. The NCR reputation is gained by speaking with Lee after Eddie dies. If Lee dies during the assault, no NCR reputation will be gained.
Lee may mention reporting back to Lt. Hayes after the quest has finished, but if My Kind of Town has already been completed, he will be gone from the NCR camp at Primm. One may run into him later at Camp Forlorn Hope. It is possible that Hayes and some of the troops under his command were sent to Hope, and that is why some troops at Forlorn Hope say that they got reinforced by troops from Primm.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to kill all the Powder Gangers before the assault on the prison (including Eddie) and complete the quest (by implementing sneak kills with a silenced weapon to avoid Powder Gangers infamy, then kill Eddie when one is told to report to Sergeant Lee - reporting back to Sergeant Lee after killing Eddie will generate an automatic mission success).
- Killing Eddie prior to that point will create a mission failure.
- By doing this it is also possible to gain the rewards for helping Eddie (300 XP instead of the normal 200), only become shunned (Powder Ganger camps will not attack the player character) by the Powder Gangers (See Notes) and gain the reputation increase with the NCR. First, betray Eddie to Hayes. Then, instead of talking to Lee outside of the prison, head on in. Speak to Eddie prior to killing him and let him know about the attack, stealth kill him and equip NCR faction armor (armor optional), then run outside and through the visitor's center to speak with Lee as he is running (from the left) inside. Keep running after speaking to him and over the ridge if one lacks NCR faction armor. He will reward only NCR reputation and not Powder Ganger infamy, as the latter would normally occur at this point but does no due to turning the quest in first to Eddie. Similarly, the player character gains the 300 XP for the NCR completion even though the quest is finished by Eddie.
- However, if the player character uses the above method, all the NCR troopers inside the administration center will be hostile to them from that point on (even days or weeks later) if they ever enter the area without an NCR faction disguise equipped.
- Powder Gangers in the scattered camps are hostile to the player character until Neutral or Shunned reputation is established, avoid killing them loudly to be able to speak to Eddie initially.
- It is possible to talk to Eddie without a Stealth Boy, even if one is vilified by the Powder Gangers. The easiest way to do this is to kill Powder Gangers who can see through disguises (Dawes, Carter, Hannigan, bodyguards, etc), and stealthily kill all other Powder Gangers (Not necessary to kill Meyers). One may need to remove and then put the Powder Gangers faction armor back on to reset rep back to neutral, and also wait around until they no longer sense the player character, so they no longer appear as hostile. Using this technique, one can get rid of every Powder Ganger at the NCR Correctional Facility except for Eddie and Meyers. Then, every time one wants to talk to Eddie, run in and talk to him before he has a chance to get up. When dialogue ends, run out of the room so he cannot see the player character and turn hostile. One can also try to sneak behind the computer on his desk and back away.
- Killing all of Eddie's guards stealthily may allow one to get to Eddie and initiate dialogue without hostilities, as a workaround for the above issue. If he becomes hostile when approached after his guards are dead, try running quickly at him and repeatedly trying to talk. If the player character gets to him before he stands up, he will talk to them. Also, one can sneak behind the computer on his desk after the talk, back away to the wall, then stand up and walk away.
- If one wants to help the Powder Gangers or sit back and let the NCR and Gangers fight it out (without betraying them), it is recommended that one visits the Cell Blocks and the Visitor Center, so that more Gangers will join the battle. This will lead to a slightly more even fight.
- If one wants to be certain to complete the quest, (and not intervene), one will have to visit each cell block, otherwise the NCR will just kill the Powder Gangers in the yard, then the Admin building. After Eddie is killed the NCR troops will go into idle mode and walk around the building leaving the Powder Gangers alive in other buildings. One named Powder Ganger may remain in one of the cell blocks, (a sneak kill if one wants to keep their rep intact).
- If one has low Intelligence when reporting to Eddie after dealing with the bounty hunter, the player character will say "I got rid of the bunny hunter."
- Although the player character can pickpocket the attack orders from Lt. Hayes before the quest, they will still be unable to initiate the attack on the Powder Gangers or speak to Lt. Hayes about the attack at all until the one is given the choice during the quest (this also mean the player character cannot complete this quest if they are hated by the Powder Gangers).
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- This quest is a reference to the song of the same name by Sonny Curtis & the Crickets, more famously covered by the Bobby Fuller Four in 1965,, the Clash in 1979 and Green Day in 2004.
|The following is based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- A number of cut and partially completed dialogue options exist which point towards the final portion of the quest having had additional options for helping out. In particular, a number of incomplete topics would have allowed the Courier to offer suggestions as to how Eddie could better defend the facility, including posting more guards and placing snipers on the guard towers.
- The Courier was also being given the option to free Chavez from the prison.
|End of information based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Completion of this quest in favor of the NCR will not register the proper result. Even though one will have gained the fame for success, Mr. New Vegas will report the mission as a failure, as will the ending narration. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Sgt. Lee may freeze on the steps to the admin building and will not finish dialogue - thus preventing NCR fame. Shooting weapon out of his hand which will turn Lee hostile but then holstering weapon immediately which will return Lee to turn friendly will unfreeze him. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If the player character passes the Intelligence or Speech check to make the bounty hunter admit he is there to collect Powder Ganger bounties, the question "So what are you still doing here?" will still be available. If selected, he will answer, "Uh, you know, just filling up water and stuff." This response is in support of his cover story rather than the truth he has just admitted. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 The explosions that opened the entrances for the NCR troops will not detonate mines or C-4, giving an easy way to finish this quest however one will gain infamy from the NCR. [verified]
- PC If the player character sides with the Powders Gangers, but have neutral or positive reputation with the NCR, Sergeant Lee will not be hostile to the them or the Powder Gangers unless he see the NCR troopers getting attacked. Lee will rush to Eddie's room and stand there for the rest of the game, saying "Shut up and fight!" if the player character tries to talk with him. Once the NCR troopers die, I Fought the Law will be completed, even if Lee is still alive.