Hopewell Cave was discovered in May 1816. It played some sort of role in the Native American Adena culture, which existed from 1000-200 B.C. One anthropologist speculated that another culture moved the remains of the Adena people to this cave as a form of reverence for them, an unusual practice. He came to this conclusion because of the presence of tools too advanced for the time period in which the Adena were present.
At the top of the hill that the cave is located under is another burial mound but of a modern kind. A small cemetery used by local West Virginians, it has since been defiled over the years, but many have still been untouched.
The entrance to the cave resembles a skull. A pile-up of trucks, cars, and buses block the road outside this small, one-room cave. One disconnected trailer sports a locked door that opens to a large collection of motorcycles. Outside of the cave, a plaque reads:
Inside the cave, a pool of dirty water and a deathclaw protecting its nest can be found. The cave's walls are lined with brain fungus and firecracker berries, and a duffle bag of ammo lies against the back wall beside a gigantic skeleton of some creature in the wall of the cave.
- Anthropologist's holotape - Holotape, on a crate near the entrance.
- Reggie's note - Note, inside the cave, to the right of the main cave entrance from the outside, at a hidden alcove slightly above the triangular-shaped formation, on a sleeping bag overlooking the cave's entrance.
- Potential Power armor chassis - In one of the buses outside of the cave.
- Potential Vault-Tec bobblehead - Directly above the cave entrance, on the triangular hole.
- Potential magazine - Inside the cave, by the burned-out campfire and sleeping bag, on the overturned small blue tray container (can be submerged in the ground).
- Potential armor plan - Inside the cave, at a hidden alcove slightly above the triangular-shaped formation, on an overturned wood basket.
- Potential weapon mod - Inside the cave, at a hidden alcove slightly above the triangular-shaped formation, at the end of a sleeping bag, on the right.
- Potential recipe - On another crate next to the one with the anthropologist's holotape.
Hopewell Cave appears only in Fallout 76.