Honest Dan works for Old Man Stockton in 2287. During this time a caravan goes missing near Covenant, including Stockton's daughter Amelia. Stockton sends Honest Dan to the settlement to try and find the missing crew but is met with resistance, the town denying that the caravan ever passed through it.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character starts quests.|
- Human Error: Honest Dan will ask the Sole Survivor to help investigate a missing caravan. If the Sole Survivor ultimately sides with Dr. Chambers, Dan will turn hostile and attack.
- Honest Dan appears not to know that Amelia is really a synth. If asked about it, he will say that they don't know, Amelia is human enough.
- After completion of Human Error, in his favor, he will walk back to Bunker Hill and then disappear from the game.
Honest Dan appears only in Fallout 4.
- Deezer and the cats. [verified] Honest Dan will disappear if one finishes the main quest first. However, you can still obtain Covenant as a settlement by killing everyone inside excluding
- targeting HUD mod. A nearly identical situation occurs if one enters Virgil's cave under similar conditions. In that case, removing the helmet prior to entering and for the duration of the player's time in the compound appears to resolve this issue.[verified] Honest Dan may turn hostile when entering the compound for no reason. Quest advances in the incorrect order. This is likely due to the player wearing a power armor helmet equipped with the
- Honest Dan can remain in the Essential (unkillable) state if the decisive dialog with Dr. Chambers is aborted (by moving away) without making any decision. Dan may become an unkillable temporary follower or an unkillable enemy, depending on the player's subsequent actions towards Dan and/or Amelia Stockton. Finishing or failing the quest will cause Dan to lose Essential status and cease being a temporary follower. [verified]