The holorifle, along with other model types, was constructed by Father Elijah, utilizing technology that he had obtained from the Big Empty and fashioned from the holograms in the Sierra Madre. He used a standard grenade launcher as the template, modifying it with a hologram emitter and drawing power from microfusion cells loaded into the grenade tube.
The construction of the holorifle enabled him to circumvent the security of the Sierra Madre, which normally confiscates items with even trace amounts of contamination and returns them to the owner's home.
The holorifle is a scoped, pump-action energy based weapon. The weapon's frame is similar in appearance to that of a grenade launcher. The scope of the weapon also appears similar to that of a laser rifle scope, but with the advantage of integrated night vision. However, the magnification level of the holorifle scope is only 2.86x, compared to the 3.5x magnification of the laser rifle scope.
The weapon is unique in that its projectile is not a bullet, plasma, laser, flame, electromagnetic pulse, or electrical charge. Since the holorifle is based on hologram technology, it fires a concentrated photon-based energy projectile, and so is most similar to photonic energy weapons (i.e., lasers). On impact, the projectile applies a "holorifle damage" effect, dealing an additional 15 damage over three seconds and visualized by glowing flakes wafting off the target (similar to the "flame damage" done by a flamer or incinerator) and knocking the target back. As with most other energy weapons, the holorifle's projectile will ignite any gas traps and other flammable hazards that it comes in contact with.
The holorifle uses microfusion cells for ammunition, loading up to four cells in a tubular under-barrel magazine. As the magazine is internal and like the tube of a pump-action shotgun, the weapon must be reloaded by hand, one cell at a time, resulting in longer reload times compared to other energy weapons. However, the reloading process can be interrupted for immediate firing. The holorifle thus has the singular advantage of being able to immediately fire again if less than a full magazine is needed.
Due to the unique nature of the holorifle, it cannot be repaired by any other weapon, even with the Jury Rigging perk. It can be repaired only by weapon repair kits, merchants, or through ED-E with at least one rank of the Camarader-E perk.
The holorifle can fire a total of about 495 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 124 reloads, from full condition before breaking. Because of a bug, the reinforced components only improve overall weapon durability by 8 more shots, or only 2 more full reloads.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ Reinforced components|
- Holorifle focus optics, increases the holorifle's damage by 25.
- Holorifle advanced calibration, reduces the holorifle's spread by 0.25.
- Holorifle reinforced components, improves the maximum condition of the holorifle by 1.5% (see bugs).
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
The player character is given the holorifle at the beginning of Dead Money. It is not possible to subsequently obtain any additional holorifles without the use of console commands.
- There are no other holorifle variants in either Dead Money or Old World Blues, despite Elijah's dialogue referencing them.
- A fully modified holorifle used with a high Energy Weapons skill is, in terms of damage, better than the anti-materiel rifle without utilizing special ammunition; although the holorifle's increased spread and comparatively slower projectile speed limit its long-range capabilities.
- The magnification of the scope on the holorifle is 2.86x, same as the marksman carbine.
- The holorifle makes efficient use of ammunition, using only one microfusion cell per shot, in comparison to the five used by the standard Gauss rifle, or four by the YCS/186 Gauss rifle. This, along with higher damage than a Tesla cannon, means it is the most powerful weapon in terms of damage per cell.
- When viewed in V.A.T.S. or through the scope, the projectiles fired by the holorifle appear to be small clusters of glowing holographic cubes.
- Unlike laser, plasma or Gauss rifles, the holorifle does not count towards the Beam (Weapon) Me Up challenge. It does, however, count towards the Condition Critical and The Rifleman challenges, meaning that it is considered a rifle-grip (in general) instead of a rifle-grip energy weapon for the purpose of these challenges. However, the holorifle does count as an energy weapon for the More Energetic and Energetic challenges.
- While loading a laser rifle with one physical microfusion cell grants 24 MFC charges worth of energy, MFCs loaded into the holorifle only grant a single MFC charge per physical cell put in the weapon.
Behind the scenes
- Raul as an active companion applying the Full Maintenance companion perk, the holorifle will not take any damage even while firing overcharged, max charge or optimized cells, and even with the Built to Destroy trait. [verified] With the reinforced components modification and 100% condition, the holorifle will not take damage while firing regular microfusion cells. With
- When using a weapon repair kit on a fully repaired holorifle, it is possible to raise the weapon's value to high amounts, thus increasing its total hit points. In other words, the more repair kits one uses, the higher its value and total HP become. [verified]
The holorifle will sometimes be affected by the same scope bug as many other weapons: while aiming with the scope, brightly colored shapes will appear instead of the standard scope image, obscuring much of the screen. [verified]
- Unequipping the rifle and then reequipping it will fix this.
During V.A.T.S., it will not fire. The player character will be stuck in V.A.T.S., leaving them vulnerable. One must reload a save to fix it. Alternatively, one can also wait and V.A.T.S. will end after a while. [verified]
- Disconnecting and reconnecting the controller will fix this.
- When switching ammunition types, it may infinitely loop the reload animation. This can be fixed by switching ammo types again. [verified]
- The weapon will not jam, even at near-breaking conditions. [verified]
- Elijah: " "
- The Courier: "What is this rifle?"
Elijah: " Still, it should serve well enough. I fashioned it from the Holograms of the Villa used it against the Villa's... living inhabitants."
- The Courier: "I've never heard of the place you're talking about."
Elijah: " The Holorifle, the Saturnite alloy... the hologram technology, hibernation chambers, Securitrons, the collars... ...even the suits attached to those things stalking the Villa... that's only the surface of what's there. "