|Side Quest: Hole in the Wall|
|Donate blood then leave vault for 24 hours|
|Go to the infirmary|
|Explore the secret vault|
|Talk to Curie|
|Take the cure back to the infirmary|
|Give cure for Austin||Keep cure|
|Reward: 250 XP|
Vault 81 room
Curie as companion
|Reward: 250 XP|
Curie as companion
Vault 81 cure
|Leads to: Dependency|
|Leads to: Dependency|
After donating blood to Dr. Forsythe, leave the vault and either pursue the Here Kitty, Kitty quest to find Ashes or else wait for 24 hours or more before returning. (You may have to complete another quest in addition to waiting 24 hours before the next scene will trigger). Austin Engill will have been moved to the vault's medical bay. Speaking with Dr. Penske begins the quest.
Austin was bitten by a mole rat when wandering in a secret partition of Vault 81 and subsequently fell ill. The player must follow Bobby De Luca to the entrance hidden in the reactor room. They are asked to go into that part of the vault and find a cure. During the investigation, they must fight their way through run-down rooms full of Vault 81 lab mole rats, which will transmit a disease if they manage to bite the Sole Survivor, conferring a potentially permanent penalty of -10 hp. The true purpose of Vault 81 as an infectious disease incubation and vaccine development facility is also discovered. In the final area there is a terminal that must be hacked or unlocked with a password in the far room on the upper floor past a mole rat brood mother. password to the locked terminal is next to the research comm terminal in the subsequent room. After this the player finds a robot named Curie who has manufactured the cure; however, there is only one dose left. Curie follows the player out of the secret vault up an elevator back to the locked door by the main vault's entrance. The player must then return to Dr. Forsythe in the medical bay with the cure and make a choice:
Option 1: Give Austin the cure
If the player character gives the cure to Dr. Forsythe, they receive rewards including the syringer rifle and a room in Vault 81. Most items throughout the vault are no longer marked as owned and can be freely picked up without angering the residents. As a side effect, if the player character has contracted the disease during this quest, they keep the disease permanently (-10 max HP).
Option 2: Deny Austin the cure
No matter whether it's by directly refusing it in dialogue (requires selecting "Only one, it's mine" followed by "Let him die") selling or losing it, or using it on yourself (possibly to cure your own mole rat disease), all of these options are treated the same; Austin dies and everyone in Vault 81 blames the Sole Survivor. A small memorial for him is prepared in the classroom under the "America lives on ... in you" poster, consisting of a candle, a new teal flared vase, a toy car, a baseball glove and a teddy bear.
Either way, the quest concludes and Curie asks to accompany the Sole Survivor around the Commonwealth in order to further her scientific research, becoming available as a companion.
- After completing this quest, items in Vault 81 can be taken without be considered as stealing, with the exception of items within personal residences and the overseers office.
- The higher the player character's Endurance, the lower the chance of contracting the disease on any particular bite. However, the chance is never zero, so it is always possible to catch the disease on the very first bite even with a very high endurance.
- It is entirely possible to complete the quest without getting bitten by a mole rat, although it can be quite tricky to do so regardless of strategy. It is advisable to save regularly, and revert to the last save if one gets infected. If you still find it too hard, consider setting the game difficulty to "Very Easy" for the duration of this quest, which will make the rats much easier to kill.
- The mole rat disease is one of the very few status effects that not even the game's god mode command, tgm, can make the player immune to.
- Selecting "We'll split it" option results in an angry reaction from Dr. Forsythe, who will respond by saying that it doesn't work that way, and will chastise you for being selfish. Many companions will respond negatively to choosing this option, after which you return to the original choice of keeping the whole cure for yourself or giving the whole cure to Austin.
- A second copy of the cure can be added using the console command player.additem 55f10.
- If you hack the expert-locked "Vault 81 Secure Access Terminal" to gain entry to the room with Curie and bypass the final pack of mole rats, they will remain, but Curie will not open the door until you go back and kill all of the rats.
- It is possible to exploit the game's ability to "walk away" in mid-conversation in order to cure both Austin and yourself:-
- Select the dialogue of your choice, then push the left stick/movement keys until the camera cuts away from a closeup of Dr. Forsythe.
- Turn the player's view away from Dr. Forsythe so the dialogue options disappear and the Pip-Boy becomes accessible.
- Open the Pip-Boy, use the cure (or drop it), and exit, turning back to face Dr. Forsythe.
- With "Give it to Austin" you have a narrow window to pull this off before it is removed from your inventory, and with "Only one, it's mine" the "Just kidding" and "You're right" followup options remain as though you still have a cure to hand over. Note that companions will approve or disapprove of the action taken.
- The hackable protectron in the area has a chance of being legendary.
- Cait and MacCready dislike giving Austin the cure and like keeping it for yourself.
- Danse likes giving Austin the cure and dislikes keeping it.
- Codsworth, Preston, Piper, Hancock, and Nick love giving Austin the cure and hate keeping it.
- Strong likes either outcome.
- Virtually everyone dislikes the option to split the cure, "good" companions for being selfish and "evil" companions for offering even that much of it to Austin. Danse doesn't care, and Deacon likes this option, as well as loves giving Austin the full cure and dislikes keeping it.
- There are no affinity changes for the second set of dialogue after keeping the cure for yourself, whether you back down and decide to give it to Austin after all, or stand by condemning Austin to death, so changes are reflected in the first choice only.
- PC If any companion or any type of creature not hostile to the player character, including the hackable protectron in the area, gets hit by one of the diseased mole rats, then the player character will get the disease, as if they had been bitten instead. [verified]
- PC If you leave the vault before Bobby opens the secret door, he will have gone into the secret vault with the secret door still being closed, making it impossible to finish the quest. [verification overdue]
- PC Sometimes Dr. Penske will not be in the room discussing her grandson's illness with Dr. Forsythe and the quest will not start. [verification overdue]
- This can be resolved by going to Dr. Penske's office, and talking to her there to start the quest.