|This page is about the location that is home to the Brotherhood of Steel. For the Hidden Valley location, see Hidden Valley.|
The Hidden Valley bunker is a location in the Mojave Wasteland in 2281. It is located southeast of Sloan. There are four bunkers in close proximity to one another within Hidden Valley, one of which is the entrance to the home of the Brotherhood of Steel.
Located in a valley protected by the pre-War DERVISH camouflage system, serving as a cloaking mechanism for the bunkers within. In the event that the location was threatened, the bunker's DERVISH camouflage system would make targeting the site impossible for automated systems. These bunkers contain the CANDLE fusion power system, providing power for an estimated 752 years.
The fast travel location can be distinguished by a hollowed-out rock marked with a heart and "no bomb" graffiti, which is located northwest of the entrance. A small broken tree stump sits directly on top of the dome, which is unique to this bunker and sets it apart from the others nearby. The cement wall around the bunker's door includes graffiti that reads "BAN THE BOMB" and "GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!!!"
Approved, unaccompanied access to the bunker cannot be gained unless at least one of the holotapes is recovered from the two dead Brotherhood of Steel paladins at the REPCONN headquarters, the paladins in Moe's crater near Black Mountain, or the two dead Brotherhood soldiers in a ditch on the artillery-battered area outside Nellis Air Force Base.
If at least one of the holotapes is in the inventory, the option to speak its passphrase into the intercom will be available. Alternately, access can be gained by picking the Very Hard lock, by having Veronica Santangelo as a companion, or by advancing far enough into any storyline to be asked to investigate the Brotherhood. If Veronica is not with the Courier, they will be arraigned, questioned, and forced to begin the Still in the Dark quest.
The facility is divided into an entrance area and two main levels. After entering the bunker there is a large entry room with a Hard locked door on the opposite side, similar to all the other bunkers in Hidden Valley. On the other side of the locked door is an empty room with open doorways to the left and right, which are guarded by at least two stationary paladins on the opposite wall. They do not appear if Veronica is present. The doorway to the left leads to a small office with a desk and a computer terminal, while the doorway to the right leads a staircase going down to the main section of the first floor.
The first floor contains the personnel quarters, a shooting range, armory, medical bay, and an instruction room where Initiates are trained. After turning right down the set of stairs into the bunker, turn left, then right, until reaching two sets of dorm rooms located one above the other, with a set of descending stairs to the lower room. Each bed has a footlocker with a combination of mid-condition laser pistols, energy cells, and/or microfusion cells.
The second floor contains the command room with living quarters for the Elder and Head Paladin Hardin. Located next to it are an archive/computer room for the scribes, a workshop for the knights to repair and manufacture equipment, and a room containing virtual reality chambers that surround the bunker's main reactor. The second floor features the Brotherhood of Steel emblem on the wall and two paths that go off to the east and to the west.
The west area has the command room with Elder McNamara and another adjoining hallway. Head Paladin Hardin is further down the hall and can be found in either one of the two rooms beyond the first.
The east area contains the archive computer terminals, the machine shop, and the VR pod room. Both Head Scribe Taggart and Apprentice Watkins are located in the VR pod room. It also houses the self-destruct authorization terminal and the Very Hard locked self-destruct terminal.
Alternatively, terminals on the same floor of the bunker will provide a password. If the terminal is successfully hacked, or the password is obtained, the Courier can initiate a self-destruct sequence that will immediately Vilify them with the Brotherhood of Steel, cause all Brotherhood of Steel members to become hostile, and result in a large negative Karma penalty when exiting the bunker. The sequence can be aborted by reactivating the terminal and choosing to abort, however, this has no effect on their hostility.
- Four near-perfect sets of T-45d power armor and three T-45d power armor helmets - In the shop below the shooting range. The key is procured from Knight Torres by pickpocketing. To do so, squat down slightly to the left of the window and inch right just enough to be hidden and able to reach her as well. The key will open the door under her, allowing entry to the armory. She will not say anything when the player character is in her shop, however, she may turn around to look at them. If pickpocketing the key is not possible, Brotherhood members will occasionally walk into the armory and automatically unlock the door as well. The armor must be stolen.
- Nikola Tesla and You - In the white plastic bin by the desk in Schuler's infirmary, on the first level, west of the central hub corridor junction.
- Greased Lightning - Can be bought from the bunker's weapons dealer after McNamara/Hardin gives the player character full access.
- Brotherhood elder's robe - Worn by Elder McNamara or Edgar Hardin if he is made elder.
- With Veronica as a companion upon entry, she will go up to the intercom, and the following conversation will occur:
- Veronica: "I'd like a large atomic shake and a double Brahmin burger. And easy on the agave sauce this time."
- Ramos: "We gave you a password, Veronica. It's for your safety."
- Veronica: "Open up, Ramos. I know where you live."
- Ramos: "(sigh) For Pete's sake. Opening up. Welcome back, Veronica."
- Most of the Brotherhood on the first level can be killed with no Karma or reputation loss by hacking the Hard locked terminal near the entrance while undetected and turning the turrets against them.
- If the bunker is destroyed, the vents on the surface will emit smoke indefinitely.
- Four Brotherhood of Steel paladins will regularly go out on patrol between 1-3:00 AM, guarding the area near the bunker until just before dawn.
- To the right of McNamara is a map of the Mojave, similar to the map found in the Citadel from Fallout 3, with several locations marked by symbols, including REPCONN HQ, HELIOS One, the Fort, Camp McCarran, the Lucky 38, and Nellis Air Force Base.
- In the medical room near the shooting range, there is a gene-projector identical to the one used in Fallout 3, it even has "Sex," "Race," "Face," and "Body" buttons.
- It is possible to steal two full sets of T-45d power armor without having to pickpocket Knight Torres for the key. To the far left of the barrier that separates the player character and Torres, there is a crevice that is close to a shelf containing the four sets of armor. By going to the crevice and walking close enough, the two sets of armor will be within reach. However, since it must be done without crouching, it will not be possible for the player character to be able to tell if they are hidden.
- In McNamara's control room, a Brotherhood logo has been created with rescaled gears and a Chinese officer's sword labeled GiantSword [STAT:000DA34B] in the game files.
The Hidden Valley bunker appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes