|Side quest: Here Kitty, Kitty|
|Enter Vault 81.|
|Talk to Erin about her lost cat.|
|Leave the vault to find her cat.|
|Head East out of Vault 81 towards Chestnut Hillock Reservoir.|
|Find the cat there and send it back home.|
|Talk to Erin.|
|Reward: 75 XP|
a Fusion core or a kickball or a silver locket or a teddy bear
As the Sole Survivor enters Vault 81, Ashes, the cat of Erin Combes, inhabitant of the vault, runs out of the vault. Upon seeing this, residents of the vault will comment on it, directing the Sole Survivor to speak with Erin if asked about it. Erin may also approach the Sole Survivor herself. She explains Ashes scratched her and she yelled at him to go away, but she has no idea where he went. If the speech checks are passed when asking for a reward, she'll offer her favorite kickball, her old teddy bear, or, lastly, the heirloom she received from her mother. While not mentioned by her, the initial reward would have been a fusion core.
Ashes can be found east of the vault towards the Chestnut Hillock Reservoir, sitting on the docks, or on the opposite side of the reservoir, near the skeleton in the wheelchair. He may either be killed, which results in failing the quest, or talked to to have him independently walk back to the vault. Once he's back in the vault, talk to Erin again to receive the reward.
- If the quest Hole in the Wall does not start after meeting all of its requirements, doing this quest has been known to get it to trigger (although this quest itself is not a direct requirement); however, any activity away from Vault 81 for a period of time will trigger the quest.
- The player can send Ashes home from up to 60 yards away, by triggering the "Send Home" action through the scope of a scoped weapon.
- PC Hearing about the quest from a NPC after accepting the quest from Erin will result in the quest telling you-you need to speak to Erin, marking her as the quest objective resulting in her only responding as though you had spoken to her and the cat not appearing at the dock.[verified]
- On PC, it is possible to fix this bug by using the console commands resetquest 00033520 and setstage 00033520 10, then speaking to Erin.
- PC If Ashes is killed during the quest and his body is brought back to Erin, then her dialog will seem as though Ashes was returned alive.[verification overdue]
- Xbox One When you get Ashes home and talk to Erin, she may only say generic dialog and not reward you.[verified]
- PC Ashes may not appear next to Erin when returned even though she talks to it normally and the quest is marked as complete.[verified]
- Playstation 4 Despite which speech check was passed, a different reward may be given, e.g., passing all three for the silver locket but being given a teddy bear.