|Side quest: Here Kitty, Kitty|
|Enter Vault 81|
|Talk to Erin about her lost cat|
|Leave the Vault to find her cat|
|Head east out of Vault 81 towards the Chestnut Hillock Reservoir|
|Find Ashes the cat there and send it back home|
|Talk to Erin|
|Reward: 75 XP|
Dependent choice for either a fusion core, kickball, silver locket, or a teddy bear
As the Sole Survivor enters Vault 81, Ashes (the cat owned by Erin Combes), runs out of the Vault and into the wastes. Upon seeing this, residents of the Vault will comment on it, directing the Sole Survivor to speak with Erin, who is distraught upon learning of the news. She explains that Ashes scratched her, in which she yelled at him to go away, and has no idea where he went afterwards.
Ashes can be found east of the Vault towards the Chestnut Hillock Reservoir, sitting on the docks, or on the opposite side of the reservoir, near a skeleton in the wheelchair. He can be killed or spoken to; if he is killed the quest is failed. If one chooses to talk to him, he will independently run back to the Vault.
Once he is back in the Vault, talk to Erin again to receive a reward. The initial reward is a fusion core. Speech checks can change the reward into Erin's favorite kickball, her old teddy bear, or, lastly, the heirloom she received from her mother. If one of these rewards are offered, it is impossible to receive the original fusion core.
Missing data (info)
This article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
- Killing Ashes is considered murder and will result in negative reactions from most companions present.
- If the quest Hole in the Wall does not start after meeting all of its requirements, doing this quest has been known to get it to trigger (although this quest itself is not a direct requirement); however, any activity away from Vault 81 for a period of time will trigger the quest.
- The player character can send Ashes home from up to 60 yards away, by triggering the "Send Home" action through the scope of a scoped weapon.
- If the internal door between the elevator and the Vault door is closed before Ashes runs through the doorway, Ashes will continue to run into the closed door. After running in place for a few seconds (and potentially clipping into the door), the door will reopen, and Ashes will run through, allowing the quest to continue as normal.
- If the player character immediately follows Ashes out of the Vault and interacts with him (much easier than trying to find it later), the Sole Survivor will still tell Ashes "Erin misses you", even though the Sole Survivor hasn't met Erin yet nor heard her name.
- Ashes home might not show up. One known cause is if patch 1.3 was installed after entering Vault 81, but before starting this quest.[verified]
Sometimes the option to send
- resetquest 00033520 and setstage 00033520 100. These will allow Ashes to be interacted with and the quest to be completed normally. If you cannot issue the return home command, use the console commands
- Alternatively, if you have changed the default key for the "Action" command, changing it back to "E" temporarily will sometimes allow you to send Ashes home.
- setstage 00033520 200. This should advance the quest to "Talk to Erin", and make Ashes run home. If neither of these work, use the console command
- The quest can be completed by reverting to a previous version of the game. This requires disconnecting your console from the network and installing Fallout 4 from a disc without allowing installation of patch 1.3.
- When you get Ashes home and talk to Erin, she may only say generic dialogue and not reward you.[verified]
Hearing about the quest from a NPC after accepting the quest from Erin will result in the quest telling you that you need to speak to Erin, marking her as the quest objective resulting in her only responding as though you had spoken to her and the cat not appearing at the dock.[verified]
- resetquest 00033520 and setstage 00033520 10, then speaking to Erin. Another possible fix is to use prid 000c437b, and moveto player while in the Vault. Ashes will try to return to Chestnut Hillock Reservoir, and one can then use setstage 00033520 200. The player should tell Ashes to go home, and he will run to Erin, completing the quest. It is possible to fix this bug by using the console commands
- Another option is when you return Ashes, stand there and let Erin talk to Ashes, then after she finishes talking the quest might be completed.
- Ashes may not appear next to Erin when returned even though she talks to it normally and the quest is marked as complete.[verified]
- Even if all three speech checks are passed for the maximum reward, only the teddy bear will be rewarded at the end of the quest.[verified]
- It is sometimes possible to send Ashes home from a great distance while aiming through a scope.[verified]