The Brotherhood of Steel was looking for weaknesses of the scorchbeasts. It involved Mission 099-01, which requires going to Vault-Tec University and wiring up one of their Automated Research Labs to find the weaknesses of the scorchbeasts.
- This daily quest becomes available towards the end of Recruitment Blues and gaining access to the upper floor of Fort Defiance. Find Mission 099-01 orders in Fort Defiance in a folder on a dresser in the bedroom next to the kitchen on the fourth floor.
- First to acquire viable scorchbeast DNA, one must kill a scorchbeast or find a dead one, approach the corpse and press a corresponding button under the inventory HUD window to acquire a DNA sample from the scorchbeast. It is not an item that can be looted. On PS4 by default the button to collect this sample is as follows: On PS4 it's Triangle, on XBOX it's Y and on PC it's SPACE.
- Then go to Vault-Tec University. The automated research lab requires power. To provide it, one needs to find the generator room, access the power terminal, and select the option "Allocate Power to Automated Research Lab."
- Then, activate the Automated Research Terminal and choose "Execute Automated Test." The terminal indicates it needs a fresh scorchbeast DNA sample.
- To complete the quest, place the sample into the automated centrifuge. Then go to the research terminal and select "Execute Automated Test."
As of patch 188.8.131.52, the lockpicking skill requirement for the door between the automated research program and the reactor has been reduced from 1 to 0.
PC After placing the DNA in the centrifuge, one must go to the terminal near the generators (one floor down) to divert enough power to the centrifuge. However, the terminal may not give this option. To fix this issue, a player character must return to Fort Defiance and head to the fourth floor, finding the Mission 099-01 orders note, which will then give a new option in the automated research terminal. This allows the player character to then interact with the generators terminal and give power to the centrifuge and terminal.[verified]