Harden was born in 2267. He is Lucas Simms's 10-year-old son. His father has instructed him not to talk to strangers in Megaton, and he reluctantly obeys. He goes to sleep early and rises early, which gives him enough time to meet up with Maggie and play.
He's a good friend of Maggie and is usually seen near her in the mid-morning to late afternoon. It is implied by his father, Lucas Simms that Harden also polishes Deputy Steel on a regular basis, but this is idle chatter as the child is not scripted to enter the Megaton armory.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- The Power of the Atom: If Lucas Simms is dead when you disarm the bomb, Harden will reward you with a home in Megaton and any caps you requested at the beginning of the quest. He exhibits little emotion despite his father's death. If the bomb is detonated, he and Maggie die.
- The Child at Heart perk has no effect on this character.
- Sometimes it may be impossible to engage Harden in regular dialogue, as he will say something like "I'm not supposed to talk with strangers" and continue walking or standing.
- If Lucas Simms dies, Harden will claim to be the new self-appointed sheriff.
|Junior officer outfit|
- "You might wear his badge, but you're not my dad."sheriff's duster)
- "You're my hero, mister. I want to be just like you when I grow up."Karma and/or disarming the bomb in Megaton)
Harden Simms appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
- His dad named him after the Old West outlaw John Wesley Hardin.
- According to the Fallout 3 Official Game Guide, by 2297, Harden was the sheriff of Megaton. When drunk, he would often speak about his father's death, and blame it on the Lone Wanderer.
- Recovering missing NPC in Fallout 3 on how to resolve this issue. [verified] Like all other Megaton characters, Harden Simms might go missing. See
- Brass Lantern. [verified] Even after his father dies, Harden still says they eat together at the
- Regardless of your Karma level, Harden will occasionally say "What do you want meanie?" [verified]
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.82: "Lucas Simms
He grew up in Megaton and understands better than anyone what it takes to survive and thrive in the Wasteland. Big and imposing yet warm and friendly, Lucas won his position by a unanimous vote of the people of Megaton (most of whom genuinely love the guy). He serves as mayor, sheriff, judge, and just about any other position that's needed. It's also no secret around Megaton that Lucas Simms is fulfilling some weird childhood cowboy fantasy. He named his son Harden after the Old West outlaw John Wesley Harden. Simms is also a member of a secret society known only as "the Regulators."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide/Afterword - Moira Brown: "Just shipped out another crate of survival guides, and the caravans just can't seem to get enough of them. Sheriff Simms says they've really put Megaton on the map—pretty ironic, since I've had to redraw that map about a million times since the first edition came out 20 years ago."