Background[edit | edit source]
By 2287 the alley has become home to a small group of raiders, who have constructed basic defenses at both ends. Hangman's Alley becomes available as a settlement to the player character after clearing out the raiders. Hangman's Alley is the closest located player character settlement to Diamond City.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The Hangman's Alley settlement comes with a workshop, a weapons workbench, a cooking station, and pre-existing junk walls with doorways and a guard tower. The majority of the structures present can be scrapped, excluding the elevated shack.
Unlike most settlements, it has a very limited build height of two levels only, which prevents the Sole Survivor from adding any structure vertically past the buildings that surround the alley. However, if done right, most of the vertical space can be used to compensate for the lack of overall space near the ground. The shape of the settlement is good at limiting areas of attack as it is only accessible from three directions (if one unchains the door up the ladder) and has flat surfaces that are easy to build on.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
- Clearing the Way: A settler tells the Sole Survivor that they are concerned about dangerous enemies in a nearby area and asks them for help in clearing it out.
- Taking Point: Minutemen scouts have found a promising site for a new settlement, but it's overrun with hostiles. Preston Garvey asks the Sole Survivor to clear it out so a beacon can be set up to attract new settlers in need of a home.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Both of the doors of the alley will be Novice locked while it is under raider control.
- If the player character has not yet claimed this settlement for the Minutemen, P.A.M. may designate it as the new location for Mercer Safehouse.
- The corpses cannot be removed except by console command.
- This location is very non-intuitive to design a defense for, as enemies will spawn within the building area as opposed to on its edge like all other settlements, even if all entrances are blocked.
- The area immediately south of Hangman's Alley is a frequent battleground between super mutants and Diamond City Security patrols. Both sides will respawn every few days. As a result, constant gunfire off in the distance will often greet the player character when they fast travel to this location. The settlers are sensitive and join the battle also which is far away from the main area.
- The houses to the northwest are a spawn point for random encounters.
- Settlers who live here will normally only stay inside the part of the settlement that was used by the raiders. While the outside of the alley can be built up, settlers will not visit it.
- On the building opposite the 'Apartments' sign there is dead raider on roof with a leveled Hunting rifle and a box of 308. Access is only available by jumping over the roofs from Back Street Apparel roof top access.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Hangman's Alley appears only in Fallout 4.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One During the quest Taking Point: Hangman's Alley, a radio beacon and power generator can be constructed outside of the accessible area. The generator will still count towards total power, but one will not be able to connect wires to it. If this happens, one would either have to build a second generator or use the tcl console command to disable clipping to exit the map and access them.[verified]
- PC Xbox One During attacks on this settlement it is possible for attackers to spawn inside of the buildings surrounding the settlement. If this happens one cannot execute the last attacker and will be forced to fail the quest. This will still cause death or destruction to the settlement, regardless of defenses or blockades. Nonetheless, if the game difficulty is not set to Survival, this can be easily fixed with the help of the tcl command. Just activate it, go through the wall, and kill the remaining attacker.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Raiders can spawn in the tunnel, which can cause the settlers to bug out and start walking towards a wall with their gun out.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One NPCs may not walk anywhere in the overall area of the section nearest the northern/riverside and eastern entrances, whether they've been assigned to a row of crops, a bed, a guard post, or a store (the cut-off point appears to be the default position of the guard tower. Considering the shape of Hangman's Alley to be an "L," this space would be the short part). This is because the default sandbox area of the NPCs does not cover all of the settlement area. If assigned to something within that space they will simply remain idle in the "main square" of the alley near the un-scrapable shack and cooking station. Therefore, it is best to use this space for the player's own use, such as for weapon and armor workbenches, and objects that do not require NPC assignment such as water pumps.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Placing the fast travel mat does not change the settlement's fast travel point. One will still arrive by the east entrance regardless of where they place the mat within the settlement.[verified]
- PC The raiders that are killed to capture the settlement often respawn when the cell is reset.[verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]