The Hangdogs is a group of tribals with a mixed reputation across the wasteland. Neither known for being particularly brutal or kind, The Hangdogs mostly keep to themselves, living in northeastern Colorado near Denver – or, as the NCR calls it, “Dog Town.” The Hangdogs run with packs of dogs that have been taken from the hordes that reportedly infest Denver. They worshiped dogs and saw them as their spirit animals. Outside of their dog-focused culture, the Hangdogs act as slavers and scavengers and are often in league with Hecate.
When Caesar's Legion arrived, the Hangdogs resisted them like most other tribes but eventually lost to Legate Lanius when he had their dogs burned alive. The tribe's elders were not able to bear the thought of their spirit animal burning in the afterlife, so they surrendered to Caesar. After they were integrated into the Legion, Caesar, seeing how useful the Hangdogs' talent were in taming dogs, made the male members of the tribe the houndmasters of the Legion, specializing in training and taming the Legion mongrels.
- Antony (formerly)
- Before the designers of Van Buren merged the Hangdogs with the Blackfoot tribe, Hangdogs could be found living near Denver. After the merge, the Hangdogs are a part of the Blackfoot tribe mainly helping out with guarding the tribes with their pack of dogs.
- The Hangdogs get their name from their practice of hanging dog skins around their village, which they believe will allow the spirits of the dogs to protect the village.
- The tribe considers coyotes to be bastard offshoots of true dogs.
- ↑ The Courier: "How did you end up joining the Legion?"
Antony: "When the Legion showed up, we fought, most tribes did. Hangdogs hung out longer than most... by throwing our dogs on the fire. "
- ↑ Hangdog Tribe design document; Page 2: "The Hangdogs revere their dogs, treating them as friends, hunting companions, and when necessary, food (they only eat dog if they have to, and they justify it as a "consume their strength" sort of thing). The Hangdogs get their name from the fact that they hang dogskins on the outside of the drive-in fence, on the village wall, and on poles near the village in the belief that the spirits of the dogs will protect the village from harm."
- ↑ Hangdog Tribe design document; Page 6: "Unfortunately, the Hangdogs consider coyotes a bastard offshoot of the true dog and want them driven out of the Blackfoot territory, not knowing that it's only the presence of the coyotes that has kept the recently-arrived rat population (now living in Mining Cave 2) to a reasonable level. Plus, the coyotes are omnivorous, and have the right combination of skills, instincts, & physique to easily kill spore plants, which they enjoy eating."