Split (reason: by game)
It has been suggested that this article or section should be split in multiple parts. Please help Nukapedia by discussing this issue on the article's talk page.
A ham radio is a small radio transceiver found throughout the wastelands.
Background[edit | edit source]
Throughout the wastelands, radio communication is achieved by way of ham radios, which are known as transceivers. The variants of the Capital and Mojave Wastelands were manufactured by Radiation King. Most are found paired with a microphone, and are able to both transmit and receive information. Some radios are functioning and transmit radio stations and messages. Other ham radios broadcast a signal that serves as a beacon to lead the player character to locations.
The signal received by one's Pip-Boy is not sent from the above-ground tower, but rather from the actual ham radio unit itself. These transmitters can be found in various sheltered locations, such as drainage cisterns, tunnels, or caves. The broadcast will become more clear as one moves closer to the ham radio unit and conversely, turns to static and fades out completely as one moved farther away. The player character can turn the ham radio off once they reach it, which stops the broadcast. Ham radios are found both destroyed and intact, cannot be damaged by the player character, nor added to the inventory.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Fallout 3[edit | edit source]
- Chinese radio beacon - Chinese technicians use ham radios to call for backup inside the Chinese listening post.
- Radio Signal Alfa Lima (AL) - In the northwest at broadcast tower KB5, just west of deathclaw sanctuary.
- Radio Signal Echo Foxtrot (EF) - Near north edge of map, south of Oasis.
- Radio Signal Kilo Bravo (KB) -Also in northwest, from WKML Broadcast Station, a bit southeast of Signal Alpha Lima and far south of Fort Constantine.
- Radio Signal Oscar Tango (OT) - Perhaps the closest to Megaton, head west-northwest to the Jury Street Metro station; it is a little south of it.
- Radio Signal Oscar Zulu (OZ) - In the northeast of the map, a bit southeast of Relay Tower KX-B8-11 and northeast of Temple of the Union.
- Radio Signal Papa November (PN) - Due west of Megaton near the west edge of the map, at a tower just west of the Charnel House. Southwest of Fort Bannister and northwest of Evergreen Mills.
- Radio Signal Sierra Romeo (SR) - On the west edge of the map at broadcast tower KT8, due north of Little Lamplight and northeast of Vault 87.
- Radio Signal Sierra Victor (SV) - In the southwest of the map, southeast of Jocko's Pop & Gas Stop.
- Radio Signal Yankee Bravo (YB) -In the northeast of the map, just south of Canterbury Commons.
- One is set up as part of the public-address system in the Super-Duper Mart. Raiders using the store as a base use the PA system to alert others in the building.
Fallout: New Vegas[edit | edit source]
- One ham radio at a lookout point on Guardian Peak.
- One inside the Jean Sky Diving building.
- One within Nipton in the house containing a Reloading bench just east of Nipton Town Hall.
- Two can be found in Camp Forlorn Hope command center.
- Three can be found at Black Mountain, one under the toppled satellite dish, and two in the buildings on the summit.
- Two can be found in Camp McCarran, inside one of the tents nearest the entrance (opposite the medical tent), and in the control tower.
- Dead Money radios in the Sierra Madre can have the appearance of a ham radio. These can be targeted and destroyed, unlike normal ham radios, and they broadcast a decayed frequency that can detonate bomb collars.
Fallout 4[edit | edit source]
- One in the Red Rocket truck stop outside Sanctuary, in the main room behind the counter, sitting on a dresser.
- Relay tower 0BB-915
Fallout 76[edit | edit source]
- Two in a tent at the Crater watchstation.
- At Sunnytop Station.
- Big Al's Tattoo Parlor.
- Camp Venture.
- On top of drop site V9.
- At Hunter's Ridge.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Some NPCs will turn ham radios back on after the player character turned them off and vice versa.