His appearance is alarming, and his elocution is languid yet exquisite. He phrases everything as some sort of riddle, and will heal the player character whenever they are hurt.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has a talking head.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character is a doctor.|
- Kill the evil plants that infest Hakunin's garden: Hakunin requests the Chosen One to kill the "plants of dark soul" infesting his garden.
- Retrieve the GECK for Arroyo: Hakunin can be asked about where to find a G.E.C.K., although he's not too helpful.
- Stop the Enclave: Hakunin will inform the Chosen One that men in power armor kidnapped the villagers, starting this quest.
Effects of player's actions
- After killing the evil plants, he will make healing powder; if brought a broc flower and a xander root, that is. "Beware," he says, "for they fog the mind as they cleanse the body", and as usual, is right on target, despite his apparently permanent trance state; each healing powder reduces Perception by one for six hours.
- Hakunin will no longer provide healing or offer to make you healing powder after the first dream sequence.
- Due to his eccentric choice in words, the Chosen One can comment on the way Hakunin talks, though he will not seem to care.
- With a low intelligence character, the player can generate responses from him that make him simplify his turn of phrase, as well as call the Chosen One a true child of the earth. Also, while on the verge of death, the player's responses will cause him lament the burden placed on the Chosen One, and will stress his description of the Enclave shock troopers that raided Arroyo.
- It is possible to steal from the chest in his hut.
- The Chosen One may comment that Hakunin takes "too many drugs."
Hakunin will appear in several visions when dreaming, telling about the dying village and the Enclave attack. There are four dream sequences scripted in the game code to occur on the 23rd of October 2241, 21 January 2242, 21 April 2242, and 20 July 2242. The last is also scripted to occur after leaving Vault 13; any remaining scripts are then nullified and those visions will not be seen.[Non-canon 1]
After this last dream, if the Chosen One returns again to Arroyo, the bridge map is changed, Arroyo becomes inaccessible, and Hakunin is seen in a separate talking head sequence (where he is laying on the ground with most of his tribal headgear smashed, he is covered in blood and talks in a rasping voice.), telling the Chosen One to go south, which is the general direction of Navarro.
- Hakunin: Child of Nature, how could we put such a burden on your shoulders? (sigh) Your people have been taken.
- Hakunin: Yes. Gone. Many dark souls came, riding the metal birds like a flock of hungry chittick bugs, hiding their evil in shiny skins.
- Hakunin's chest message box: "You see a chest for the shaman's herbs.
You deftly steal from the shaman's things."
- The Chosen One: "You are doing just way too many drugs. I'm outta here."
- The Nearly Ultimate Guide to Fallout 2 by Per Jorner: Arroyo