|This page is about the location known as Gun Runners that appears in Fallout: New Vegas. For the Gun Runners faction, see Gun Runners.|
For the location knows as Gun Runner's Fortress that appears in Fallout, see Fortress.
Gun Runners is a location in the Mojave Wasteland in 2281. It is located just south of Freeside and is run by a company of the same name. The Gun Runners specialize in the manufacture and sale of firearms.
Background[edit | edit source]
This small factory compound is a branch of the powerful Gun Runners merchant house. In contrast to the nearby Crimson Caravan company, the Gun Runners operate in a decentralized fashion (such as with Isaac being the contact for the supply end of the operation).
Layout[edit | edit source]
Exterior[edit | edit source]
The location consists of a building enclosed by a fence. A small kiosk is situated in front of the fence and serves as the shop while the larger building houses the manufacturing arm of the company. Vendortron, a robot merchant, is stationed in the kiosk to process transactions.
Inside the fence, two guards patrol the area in a clockwise fashion. They linger on the platform in the northeast corner of the fenced-in area for a short time and then continue their patrol. Entering the fenced-in area or the building is considered trespassing, and will cause the guards (excluding Vendortron) to turn hostile.
After the player finishes Honest Hearts, the Gun Runners will start selling .45 Auto pistols and .45 Auto submachine guns, along with .45 Auto rounds and will always stock all of the weapon mods for the Honest Hearts weapons. If Gun Runners Arsenal is installed, the Vendortron will offer unique items that would appear in merchant inventories if said merchants are dead.
Interior[edit | edit source]
The Gun Runners' building is a single-story warehouse that consists of the main lobby and several smaller rooms. Directly in front of the entrance is a workshop on the opposite side of the lobby. Within the workshop is a computer terminal containing the manufacturing specifications, which will be needed by the Crimson Caravan's Alice McLafferty for the quest You Can Depend on Me. A living quarters section of the building is located to the left upon entering the lobby. This portion of the factory is made up of a kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom.
Within the building is a single Gun Runner guard and three gunsmiths. The guard remains stationary in the kitchen in combat armor, armed with a hunting rifle. Should the Courier enter the building during the day, they will move from the kitchen to the workshop. They will be sleeping at night. The guard and gunsmiths attack on sight but items found in the building are not owned and thus can be taken without any Karma penalty. In addition, killing anyone on the premises does not give negative Karma or affect reputation with any faction. Vendortron will continue to do business with the Courier despite any interactions with surrounding Gun Runners employees. However, the robot will temporarily refuse to serve the player character during combat.
Weapons purchased at Gun Runners are at 98 percent condition. After the Courier finishes Honest Hearts, the Gun Runners will start selling .45 Auto pistols, .45 Auto submachine guns, war clubs, and fire bombs along with .45 Auto rounds, and will always stock all of the weapon mods for the Honest Hearts weapons. Vendortron's inventory changes on Wednesdays and Sundays.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap - In the little crate next to the metal table in the lobby.
- Bozar - Sold by Vendortron.
- Esther - Sold by Vendortron.
- Gehenna - Sold by Vendortron.
- Medicine Stick - Sold by Vendortron.
- Sleepytyme - Sold by Vendortron.
- Two-Step Goodbye - Sold by Vendortron.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Gun Runners are featured on the 10 of hearts card in the Collector's Edition card deck.
- The weapons seen against the wall in the kiosk are static models, not actual weapons, and cannot be picked up even by using glitches and console commands.
- If the guards respawn after being killed and become hostile once more, Isaac may also turn hostile toward the Courier. In order to interact with Isaac, the Courier must wait for the Gun Runners to turn neutral once more.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
This Gun Runners location appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Gun Runners is located in the same relative geographic location as the Historic Commercial Center just north of the Las Vegas Country Club—the relative geographic real world location of the NCR sharecroppers. (The Gun Store Las Vegas which is a store that sells a wide variety of pistols, rifles and shotguns, and allows others to use in store weapons at their on site practice ranges is a likely location inspiration as well, but it is actually located directly east of McCarran airport on Tropicana rather than north of the airport as in game)
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The area is subject to the usual bugs of the Gamebryo engine, including:
- Characters spawning in wrong locations (like Vendortron outside its kiosk), not respawning (Gun Runner guards and Isaac), or remaining hostile towards the player after respawn.[verified]
- Xbox 360Characters ignoring the player when attacked, such as the gunsmiths.[verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Geometry issues causing the player to be catapulted into the air in front of the Gun Runners store, after trading inventory with a companion and turning around to face the Vendortron. This is usually lethal, unless the player steers their character to land on top of the kiosk.[verified]
- Xbox 360 Certain items, like the energy cells on the workbenches inside, are placed inside the workbench collision boundaries and will fall through it if the player touches the bench (triggering the physics engine), becoming unobtainable.
- PC Xbox 360 After fast traveling to the locations, companions may run away towards the NCR sharecropper farms until they reach a fence, upon which they return to the player. This is similar to the Raul Tejada fast travel bug.[verified]
- Vending bugs
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Buying from the Vendortron is bugged and items purchased may be added to the player's at full repair, rather than the original condition. If the bug occurs, it will only become apparent after exiting dialogue with the Vendortron. The item can be sold back as normal (pocketing the price difference), and Vendortron may carry two items then: One at full repair and one in the original condition. This bug does not occur reliably - see the Talk page for details.[verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If Vendortron's caps exceed 30,000, the barter interface will freeze: When selling items, they will be transferred to Vendortron's inventory, but caps will not be awarded to the player.[verified]
- Xbox 360 Conversely, if the player exhausts Vendortron's caps, saves the game and exit to the Xbox dashboard, Vendortron's caps will reset upon loading the savegame.[verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Selling modded weapons to Vendortron will erase applied mods on repurchase.[verified]
- Xbox 360 The game may spawn the entire Vendortron inventory at once, regardless of the player's level.[verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Courier: "So you work for the Gun Runners?"
Isaac: "For around five years now. I handle the supply ends of things - raw materials and stuff."
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Official Game Guide p.308: "[2.14] Gun Runners
Exterior: Gun Runner Kiosk
This heavily fortified armory is a small but extremely impressive operation. The Gun Runners supply only the finest hardware to the most discerning of customers, including the NCR. Approach the kiosk outside the gates of the building, and speak with either the Vendortron, or Isaac, near the Reloading Bench. You can ask about the Gun Runners, inquire about touring the factory (you can't), and play a game of Caravan.
Breaking into the Gun Runners factory alerts the three patrolling guards, ad nullifies the Vendortron's sales routine, stopping you from purchasing these rare items. Unlock the gate [Average], and head to the Gun Runner Headquarters front doors just beyond.
The care and attention the Gun Runners give their weaponry is unsurpassed, and their Smithy is where this fine work takes place. Unlock a Locker [Average] for a nice item. The middle of the room has four Workbenches and two Reloading Benches, one of which has an Assault Carbine on it, and another holds a Laser Rifle. Finally, you can access the Gun Runner Terminal, where there's information on naming the Vendortron (not "Bob"), an order for Camp McCarran, and "Persona Non Grata." A final option appears during the Side Quest: You Can Depend on Me (and only then), allowing you to download some Manufacturing Specifications onto a Holotape."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)