| ||For the faction in Fallout and Fallout: New Vegas, see Gun Runners.|
|Miscellaneous quest: Gun Run|
|Locate the Rook family house.|
|Talk to Barney Rook.|
|Turn on the terminals.|
|Report to Barney Rook.|
|Reward: 350+ XP|
As one approaches the Rook family house in Salem, they will see Barney Rook standing on the roof of his house, which is surrounded by mirelurks. The mirelurks are initially friendly but will turn hostile when approaching the house, starting the quest. After they are defeated, get closer and Barney Rook will speak to the Sole Survivor and invite them to enter the bunker in the basement of his house.
Upon arrival, Barney will speak to the player character, continuing the quest. He will say that the Salem Militia, composed of himself and his rifle, Reba, need some help to reactivate the defenses of the town. He will ask the Sole Survivor to activate the terminals controlling the turrets throughout the town. To do so, one must enter Barney's password in the terminals. As warned, one will find mirelurks along the way.
Once all five terminals have been activated, return to Barney and he will give the player a character a reward: Barney's key, which allows access to Reba II, a special sniper rifle with +50% bonus damage against bugs and mirelurks.
- The "reward" persuasion check for Barney has no effect on the reward received.
PC Barney may already be dead. His premature death may play out in several ways:[verified]
- One may approach Rook house and not get the first quest stage ("Kill x mirelurks") to trigger at all, despite one or more mirelurks being present. Barney's corpse is on the roof, invisible, with Reba laying next to him. Reloading an earlier save and approaching Rook house at a later time may yield a different result.
- The quest activates and instructs the Sole Survivor to kill the mirelurks, but he is still dead on the roof, this time with his corpse visible. This will result in "Talk to Barney" being an unfulfilled miscellaneous quest. The quest can be removed from the miscellaneous quest menu by using the console command setstage DN083_Barney 100.
- In both cases, his corpse is lootable and holds his basement key, so both Rebas are attainable even if the quest either gets stuck in the Pip-Boy or never triggers at all.
- PC Sometimes after activating a turret it will attack the player character or companion. Destroying the turret has no effect on the quest.