Each of the three ranks of this perk permanently increases the player character's Repair and Small Guns skills by five points.
- Having this perk will grant a dialogue option to the Lone Wanderer when starting the Reilly's Rangers quest by talking to Reilly, in which they will mention that they've heard that the Rangers carry "some serious firepower."
- The perk image shows a missile launcher among the collection of weapons. The missile launcher is actually a Big Gun, and so it will not get a bonus from this perk but instead would benefit from the Size Matters perk.
In Fallout 4, Gun Nut returns as a feature to enhance projectile weapon modifications, and it also enables the player character to build turrets in their settlements.
|1||INT 3||You gain access to base level and Rank 1 gun mods||0004A0DA|
|2||INT 3, LVL 13||You gain access to Rank 2 gun mods||0004A0DB|
|3||INT 3, LVL 25||You gain access to Rank 3 gun mods||0004A0DC|
|4||INT 3, LVL 39||You gain access to Rank 4 gun mods||0016578E|
- The perk is needed to craft mods from scratch, not for applying or removing mods. One can remove a mod and apply it freely on the same kind of weapon, even if one could not build a new copy of that mod.
- With the Automatron add-on, one point in Gun Nut is required to access the full range of craftable robot components at a robot workbench.
- With the Contraptions Workshop add-on, leveling up Gun Nut allows the player character to access most of the range of ammunition recipes at an ammunition plant via a terminal.
- The loading screen uses the Fallout 3 Gun Nut perk icon as a pin badge.
Fallout: The Roleplaying Game
Modify small guns and heavy weapons with weapon mods. Each rank in this perk unlocks an additional rank of weapon mods: rank 1 unlocks rank 1 mods, rank 2 unlocks rank 2 mods, etc.
Additionally, any ranks of Gun Nut can be used to assist another player with crafting mods, i.e. player one has 2 ranks of Gun Nut and player two has 1 rank, they can assist one another and effectively create rank 3 mods.
Each time you take this perk, the level requirement increases by 4.
Fallout: The Board Game
While at a settlement, the player character can discard this perk to obtain a single weapon from the shop or any discard piles.