Have a present
Enjoy your party
Enjoy the party and speak with your guests.
Walk forward a bit and you'll be greeted by Amata. This is your first real conversation, and you're given three possible responses. No matter which one you pick Amata will tell you to guess what she got you. In the end she gives you the comic "Grognak the Barbarian #1."
Turn right and talk to Old Lady Palmer and she'll give you a sweetroll.
Turn around to see a Mr. Handy named Andy try to cut the cake, but accidently destroys it instead. This will agitate Butch DeLoria, and he will demand your sweetroll. If you've already eaten your sweetroll, or if you refuse to give it to him, Butch will attack you. If he does, Officer Gomez will break the fight, and you have the option of telling him what happened.
Amata will approach you when you're done dealing with Butch, and you can give her three different responses.
Your Dad will get up and go to the Intercom that's just started beeping. He'll tell you head down to the reactor room for a surprise he and Jonas have been working on. As you head towards the cafeteria exit, Beatrice will walk in and hand you a poem she wrote for your birthday.
Armed and in Charge
Your new objective is to meet Jonas in the reactor room. Head out the door your Dad just opened and turn right; you should bump into Beatrice on your way out. If you wait around after your Dad opens the door, Beatrice will walk in and talk to you. She'll give you a poem which you can read in your Pip-Boy 3000.
Turn left at the "reactor" sign head down the hall and turn right. Go down the stairs and enter the room. Talk to Jonas and wait for your Dad. When he arrives, he'll give you a BB gun. Follow him through the door. You'll be given a new objective. Shoot all 3 targets with the BB gun. This is pretty straightforward.
After you shoot each target once, you'll be charged with a new task: Kill the radroach. No real threat here, as a few well-aimed shots should kill it quickly. To celebrate this, your Dad wants to take a picture with you. Stand beside your Dad to complete the quest. Note: This photo turns up again when you finish the game.
- You don't don't have to read your birthday present, Grognak the Barbarian, right away. It will be in the dresser in your room along with the Vault 101 Utility Jumpsuit when Escape! begins.
- Instead of heading downstairs to meet with Jonas you can head straight forward up the stairs where you see what the Overseer really thinks of your party. Also, you can pickpocket that guard for 2x Stimpacks. If you succeed, they'll be in the dresser as well.
- Think Beatrice is too happy? Read the poem she gives you, it is a very dark and depressing take on the oppressive life in a Vault.
- You find out that your Pip-Boy is a 3000a model; one of the older models, but "reliable" (as Stanley calls it) or just a "piece of junk" (as Butch calls it). It's able to link up with the Stealth Boy 3001 model, showing it isn't too outdated (or that the Stealth Boy 3001s were designed to be backwards compatible with the 3000 series of Pip-Boys). Stanley reckons you could "drop a bomb on it and it would still work", then corrects himself by stating "as a matter of fact, I know you could". Handy for what you will partake in nine years from now.
- The note on the bulletin board about a missing copy of Dean's Electronics is misleading, it is nowhere to be found.
- If you run out of BB's in your confrontation with the radroach talk to your father who will resupply you with 30 new BB's If you like you can even shoot your father or Jonas unconscious as much as you want, though crippled limbs regenerate at such point. A faster method is dropping them upon entering the room, and you can obtain more (order of the dialogue is unknown by this writer)even if you have it in your inventory. (I got to 182 before being bored, its fast just short attention span here) It is unknown about having however many you ask for after you kill it on your desk. The PC version may allow you to accumalate an ammount of 310 BB bullets.
- Along with "Clear Project Purity of any remaining Mutant Threat" in the quest The Waters of Life, this appears to be one of only two quests which prevents the hero from completing Fallout without killing anyone or anything. Once the character has been given the BB gun, it is impossible to leave the reactor room area (since the top door has a "Very Difficult" lock, and it is impossible to drop the BB gun. Although it is possible to complain to dad that you "didn't want a stupid BB gun" and to say of killing the radroach "I'm not ready to do it!", eventually Jonas will not enter dialog and the only options with dad are to ask for more ammunition or to end the conversation.
The sweetroll and the scenario of a bully trying to take it from you is recurring event during the tutorial/character creation sequence of Bethesda's Elder Scrolls games.
- If you go up the stairs from the starting room with the party and passes through both doors beyond, you will "fall into the future" seeming to trigger much of the "Escape!" cues: the Vault-Tec siren and warnings are playing, the vault is infested with hostile radroaches, grandma Taylor is dead in the diner, you will trigger instructions to take your stuff before leaving (the BB gun is here, even though Dad has not given it yet). It is possible to find the Overseer's password, etc, make it through his office, and out to the door for the secret tunnel. If you try to open the door at the end of the secret tunnel, you will (fortunately) receive an error message saying that children can not active the door. (This is fortunate, since, if you had played the previous Fallout's, but never seriously played FPS games and accidentally wandered up these stairs when first playing the game,you could mistakenly believe that you were meant to be escaping the vault as a 10 year old.)