Before the Great War, Goodsprings was a "living ghost town", an old mining community from the early days of the United States of America. Abandoned in the aftermath of Armageddon, it was resettled relatively recently by the New California Republic (NCR) who wanted to develop a low-risk mining environment near a reliable source of potable water.
Other than a recent lack of trade, Goodsprings struggles with two major problems. First, the powder gangers, led by Joe Cobb, are a group of convicts who recently escaped from the nearby NCR Correctional Facility. The disgruntled "Gangers" are attempting to locate and kill a Crimson Caravan merchant named Ringo, and are willing to ransack the entire town to find him. Second, geckos are constantly finding their way into town, dipping from its water supply and occasionally attacking residents and bighorners, which provide the town's main source of income.
Chet runs the Goodsprings General Store, doing most of his business with traders that come into town looking for meat and hides and the occasional traveler in desperate need of supplies. Trudy runs the Prospector Saloon, and is referred to as the "Town Mom" by Sunny Smiles.
Doc Mitchell's House is located in the west. The Prospector Saloon and Goodsprings General Store with a Mojave Express dropbox located outside are to the north. Several settlers live in the town's houses.
There are three locations in Goodsprings which can be used for safe storage. Everything in Doc Mitchell's house is considered unowned, except the bed. Victor's shack is also considered unowned, but has few storage containers. The house due south of the Saloon is the most convenient, as it is the closest to the fast travel point. It has open beds and safe containers. Easy Pete sleeps there nightly, and a settler may wander in, but one bed is usually free.
Goodsprings contains an abandoned schoolhouse with some loot. An abandoned gas station west of Doc Mitchell's house contains some minor loot and can be used as a safehouse, as it contains a bed and safe storage, but it is locked until the Courier goes there to meet Ringo.
- Almost all of the mailboxes have skill magazines that can be taken without penalty. These will also respawn occasionally.
- The schoolhouse contains a locked safe that none of the residents have been able to get open. If the player has a lockpick or science skill of 25, it can be opened.
- Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual: The house where Trudy and Sunny Smiles sleep contains a copy of it on a small book shelf. From the front door entrance: Go straight. It will be on the second row of the shelf under a Large Scortch Book, next to a Pre-War Book, and next to a Large Destroyed Book. (Must be stolen)
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap: Can be found in the above-mentioned house on the kitchen counter, next to a few Sunset Sarsaparilla bottles.
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap: West of the General Store is a white house with a vegetable garden outside. Enter it, and go to the bedroom. There on the table, next to a chessboard and an empty Sunset Sarsaparilla Bottle is the cap's location.
- A Snowglobe can be found next to one of the graves up at Goodsprings Cemetery.
- Goodsprings is based on the real-life location of the same name. Several landmarks, such as the saloon, store, schoolhouse and windmill are all present in real-life and reproduced with a decent degree of accuracy in-game.
- It is possible for nearby enemies in adjacent areas to appear in the town. This can happen if an enemy is drawn near the town and killed. When they re-spawn, if they are close enough to detect friendly NPCs(or creatures they are antagonistic towards), they may investigate and attack instead of moving back to their default spawning point as normal. The threat posed is usually very minor (Coyote), but it does have the potential to be very disastrous if very dangerous creatures (Giant radscorpions, Deathclaw) are lead too close to town.
- The town of Goodsprings is one of the three Goodsprings locations (the others being Goodsprings Source and Goodsprings Cemetery) that make up the tutorial area. The tutorial boundary exists whether or not the Player accepts Sunny Smiles offer of training.
- The state flag of Nevada flies above the entrance to Doc Mitchell's house. It the only instance of an animated Nevada state flag in the game, and additionally one of the few instance of the flag in game (another being the state border sign found in Nipton).
Goodsprings appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Taking plants marked as owned (red lettering) from gardens plots does not register negative karma or count as theft. This can also be observed in West Vegas's small farm area, where the barrel cacti are marked as owned.