Goodneighbor, known as Scollay Square before the Great War, is a small town inside Boston in the Commonwealth in 2287. It is inhabited by ghouls, criminals and other people who do not fit in or who are not allowed in Diamond City.
Before the bombs fell, this location was known as Scollay Square. Goodneighbor was founded in 2240 by criminals who were exiled from Diamond City. It can be easily reached from the Mass Fusion building by traveling to the southeast.
The town was once ruled over by a criminal named Vic who was later overthrown by John Hancock. He assumed the role of mayor and took charge of Goodneighbor, running the community under his philosophy "Of the people, for the people." The town has become the home of many drifters from the wastes. However, Goodneighbor is also a hub of crime, which was one of the reasons why a security team called the Neighborhood Watch was established to keep order under Hancock's rule and defend the town from raiders and rival organizations such as the Triggermen and the Institute, among others.
Even with vigilantism encouraged and the presence of the Neighborhood Watch, various criminal activity is commonplace in Goodneighbor, such as murder, extortion, and chem peddling. There are two shops near the entrance: Kill or Be Killed run by KL-E-0, who sells weapons, and Daisy's Discounts, owned by Daisy, who sells general items. The Third Rail is the town bar, built out of an old subway station and is tended by Whitechapel Charlie.
Goodneighbor occupies Scollay Square and features:
- See respective location articles
- Building a Better Crop
- Dangerous Minds
- Emergent Behavior
- Emogene Takes a Lover
- Long Road Ahead
- Public Knowledge
- The Big Dig
- The Marowski Heist
- The Memory Den
- The Silver Shroud
- Trouble Brewin'
- Art Appreciation
- Familiar Faces
- Hazardous Material
- MacCready for Action
- Recruiting Hancock
- The Cleaner
- Neon Winter
- The Triggermen of Goodneighbor dress and act like pre-War mobsters. People in Diamond City say "they come from the pressed suit and Tommy gun school of thuggery" and "in Goodneighbor two things count, style and body count."
- Goodneighbor residents are vehemently opposed to the Institute and show contempt towards the denizens of Diamond City, especially Mayor McDonough.
- Goodneighbor can also be accessed by the fallen skybridge at the collapsed section by simply jumping down into the city, which forces a loading screen. This can also be done by using the jet pack mod for power armor to jump over the main gate.
- There are three locked doors marked "warehouse" in Goodneighbor. Whitechapel Charlie in the Third Rail offers a quest (after browsing his wares) to clear these buildings of the Triggermen inside. All three doors are locked with Novice difficulty. As long as one sneaks into these houses, nobody in Goodneighbor will attack upon leaving.
- Three Triggermen and the corpse of a drifter can be found in an alley behind Hotel Rexford. The former will start fighting on being approached.
- Goodneighbor can be exited through the back of the aforementioned alley by climbing to the highest vertical point of the power box and jumping across the trash bins and over the steel wall.
- If the Sole Survivor brings Piper to Goodneighbor, the Neighborhood Watch will comment [she] "is the dame that writes Publick Occurrences, right? Good Stuff. I always did appreciate good investigative journalism."
- If the Sole Survivor brings Deacon to Goodneighbor, he will change his outfit to appear similar to the mobsters around the town.
- Hancock mentions that Goodneighbor used to be run by a man called Vic, and his gang. They used to use the drifters, including Hancock, for their own work. He then goes on to say that he and some of the other drifters attacked Vic and his gang overnight and that he then became mayor of Goodneighbor.
- If one enters Goodneighbor before joining The Railroad, Deacon can be found wandering around near Kill or Be Killed.
- If the Sole Survivor steals the mini nuke, ammunition, and the Fat Man in KL-E-0's shop undetected, the items will respawn after waiting a few days, allowing the items to be obtained multiple times.
- When at this location companions make comments, which are activated at the entrance.
- In the alleyway between Hotel Rexford and the Memory Den, the Sole Survivor will encounter a trio of Triggermen. They will warn the player character not to approach. Ignoring their warning results in them turning hostile.
|Cait||"Wow, this place is a shitehole. And here I thought it couldn't get any worse than the Combat Zone."|
|Curie||"Oh, can we see the Old State House? Maybe they have the tourist brochure?"|
|Danse||"Safeties off. I don't like the look of this place one bit."|
|Deacon||"Hancock turns a blind eye to our... activities. Makes Goodneighbor a great place to lay low."|
|John Hancock||"Home sweet home."|
|Robert MacCready||"Ugh. Nothing says welcome like the stench of urine-soaked garbage."|
|Strong||"These humans like fighting."|
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the real world, Mary Goodneighbor was a burlesque performer who was filmed performing a striptease in the Old Howard Theater by Boston's vice squad. This tape was central to getting the Old Howard Theater shut down, marking the general end of the Scollay Square district. Her surname served as the inspiration for Goodneighbor's name.
- In the game, the Memory Den's facade and marquee are based on the Gordon's Scollay Square Olympia Theater, though it is about a block and a half away from where that building was. The proprietor of the Memory Den, Irma, is also named and styled after Mary Goodneighbor, whose stage name was Irma the Body.
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Bobbi's terminal is inaccessible. Even without collision, there is no way to use the terminal. This prevents the player from opening the nearby safe as it can only be unlocked via Bobbi's terminal. With the console command 'unlock', one can access the safe, though there will be no prompt indicating that the safe exists.[verified]
- Playstation 4 When entering Goodneighbor, jumping as you open the door can put your character in a suspended jumping motion. You can fix this simply by pulling your weapon out.[verified]
- Xbox One When shooting a Triggerman in the warehouses using VATS with a full critical bar, the whole game may start to glitch and result in a crash. [verified]
- ↑ Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide p. 485: "Built on an ancient area of Boston once known as Scollay Square, Goodneighbor was founded in the year 2240 by a group of criminals banished from Diamond City. But appearances can be deceiving; although plagued with problems, Goodneighbor has its finer qualities: There are no social classes, so everyone is truly equal. There is no bigotry, and even Ghouls are accepted. Goodneighbor has proven instrumental in the success of the Railroad’s operations."
- ↑ Fallout 4 loading screen: "Goodneighbor was founded in the year 2240, by a group of criminals who were banished from Diamond City."
- ↑ The History of Bethesda Game Studios - Emil Pagliarulo: "The name Goodneighbor comes from Holly Goodneighbor , who was one of the last burlesque dancers in Boston."