Glowing fungus, or Flammulina velutipes, is part of the landscape of post-War Appalachia. These common clusters of small, green mushrooms exhibit a faint luminescence. They can be consumed raw to satisfy a small amount of hunger with a medium dose of radiation and chance for disease or can be cooked for additional benefits.
- Many can be found along the river in Flatwoods, including nearly 50 along the dried-up riverbed from Flatwoods to Hillfolk Hotdogs.
- Up to 46 can be found in the tunnel under Highway 65, from north of Watoga to south of the abandoned Bog Town, in tunnel openings along the highway.
- Up to sixteen can be found in the abandoned waste dump.
- Around five can be found at Firebase Hancock.
- Three in Carson family bunker.
- One can be found in the basement level of Kanawha Nuka-Cola plant.
- One can be found at Burdette Manor.
- One on the edge of the Watoga bandstand behind a trash can.