Gilles previously held the rank of major in the New California Republic Army, having been the commanding officer of NCRA forces holding Coyote Tail Ridge during the Bitter Springs Massacre in 2278, or "the incident" as Gilles calls it. When NCR Army forces moved in to block any Great Khan members from fleeing the area of Bitter Springs, Gilles issued the order that anyone who tried to flee was to be shot on sight. What Gilles did not know was that most of the Khans at Bitter Springs were not the armed raiding force she believed was there, but women, children, the elderly, the wounded and the sick.
Confused about what to do, NCR troops nonetheless opened fire, and Gilles froze up as the situation began to spiral out of control. Then-Captain Dhatri took command when he could not get a word out of Gilles, and did what he could to salvage the situation and stop the killings. For his efforts, Dhatri was promoted to major and placed in command of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion. Gilles, meanwhile, was demoted to captain. No longer in command of an infantry unit, she was assigned to the refugee camp established at Bitter Springs, offering some safe haven to those displaced by an advancing Caesar's Legion.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
No, Not Much, Climb Ev'ry Mountain: After hearing from Captain Gilles that things are not going well at the camp, she can give one these quests. After that they will be able to receive the quest Bitter Springs Infirmary Blues from Lt. Markland.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
- If the Courier convinces Craig Boone to remain angry about the massacre at Bitter Springs and also establishes the NCR as the controlling power in the Mojave, Boone eventually returns to California with his side-arm and two bullets to kill Gilles and later himself.
- Gilles will have different greetings with the Courier depending on their NCR reputation. She will also have different reactions to the fate of President Kimball after the completion of You'll Know It When It Happens.
- "Never expected someone as famous as you to turn up here. What can I do for you?"
- "About three years ago, this canyon was the main encampment for the Great Khans. NCR's 1st Recon tracked them here after a raid and made an attack. There was a communication mix-up that resulted in some noncombatants being killed. It was a tragic mistake, but we've done all we can to make amends."
- "It started about six months ago. At first it was just supplies going missing - we figured it was refugees. Then people started dying. Always a single bullet to the head, always from extreme range. We've lost eight refugees and three soldiers to this son of a bitch. We know he must be hiding out in one of the caves up in the mountains, but I don't have enough men to send out looking for him!"
Captain Gilles appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.