|Miscellaneous quest: Giddyup 'n Go|
|Talk to Arlen Glass and accept his quest.|
|Retrieve the toy parts in Wilson Atomatoys factory.|
|Bring the parts back to Arlen Glass.|
|Rewards: 100+ XP|
To begin this quest, talk with Arlen Glass in The Slog and ask him for work. He'll express his interest in the toy Giddyup Buttercup and say he needs some spare parts, which can only be found in the Wilson Atomatoys factory, for his work on them. If asked for a reward, he'll offer a base payment of 150 caps and can be pushed into offering 225 or 300 caps with some speech checks. A third reward speech check, if passed, will give a Wilson Atomatoys ID card, used in the quest.
When you reach the factory, it's likely that the super mutants that inhabit the place and nearby Gunners will be battling each other. They and the super mutants located within will need to be fought through to retrieve the toy parts. A minigun wielding super mutant named Big Mack, leader of the small group, will also be found inside. Being so far south and right next to Quincy, this is a very dangerous area. Being a higher level and well-prepared is recommended when doing this quest.
After killing the mutants, head to a small room in the back of the factory with a door that requires an ID card to open. To get in the room with the quest parts, get the ID card located upstairs over at the right of the desk in the corner on the ground. One may also be found on the super mutant overlord, or another mutant leader, found outside or inside the factory. The player can also find one at the Wilson Atomatoys corporate HQ in a filing cabinet in the security office on the second floor. If the third speech check was passed with Arlen, you'll already possess one. Once inside, take the toy parts found on a shelf to the left of the room and return to The Slog.
Talk with Arlen again and give him the parts. In his excitement and awe, he'll gladly give you the caps reward agreed upon, ending the quest.
There are two items related to Arlen Glass: the Giddyup Buttercup toy parts and Marlene's holotape. Only the toy parts are required to complete the quest. However, the holotape can be given to Arlen for additional story line and reward.
Different dialogue options will appear based on whether or not the sole survivor has already cleared the factory and obtained the toy parts:
- If the toy parts are not in the inventory (not taken from the factory, scrapped, or put somewhere else) then the Sole Survivor has two options:
- Tell Arlen where to find the toy parts he wants. Arlen will reward 150 caps as payment for the tip and decides to go to the factory himself, denying the player the miscellaneous quest.[verified]
- Ask about a reward and agree to find the toy parts to initiate the miscellaneous quest. If the toy parts are stored at a settlement before speaking to Arlen a second time, the option to give the parts to him can still be chosen, thereby allowing the player to keep the toy parts while also completing the quest.
- If the toy parts are in the inventory then the Sole Survivor could give them to him. Arlen will reward 150 caps as payment, but the miscellaneous quest will be skipped.
Once the quest has been completed, Arlen will remain in his workshop and continue working on assembling the toy.
Having Marlene's holotape in the inventory or stored at a settlement upon first meeting Arlen will have different outcomes:
- Upon first meeting Arlen, if the holotape has been found, he may be asked if he is "The Arlen Glass" followed by an optional speech check about whether he has a daughter. The holotape can then be given to him. Arlen will listen to the recording and give a caps reward together with the Buttercup toy, which is a miniature version of Giddyup Buttercup.
- If the holotape was present in the inventory, it will be removed.
- If the holotape was stored at a settlement prior to speaking to Arlen, the dialogue choice to hand it over to him will still work. The holotape will remain where it was stored.
- If the option to give the holotape to Arlen is not selected on the first encounter, the recording will have to be in the inventory in order to offer it to Arlen later on. When given to him, the holotape is removed from the inventory.
After receiving the reward, Arlen will listen to the holotape again. If not already done so, the miscellaneous quest to find the toy parts may be initiated by speaking to Arlen after the recording finishes.
- In order to receive the quest, the demand for a reward must be chosen. Once the price is negotiated, a dialogue option of "All right" can be selected at which point the quest will be added to the Pip-Boy.
Upon visiting The Slog after some time, Arlen and his terminal will be gone. Instead, a Giddyup Buttercup and Arlen's note will be found on the counter.
- The note reads, "For a child who needs it - Arlen Glass."
- Arlen can be found visiting his former home, Cambridge crater, on occasion.
- A Giddyup Buttercup with Arlen's note can be found at random locations throughout the Commonwealth. Two reported locations are:
- kill and resurrect console commands will allow you to complete the quest.[verified] Arlen Glass may be unresponsive or found dead at the Slog. Using the
It is possible to obtain and scrap the parts before meeting Arlen and beginning the quest and thus be unable to finish it. [verified]
- On PC, this can be worked around by using the console command player.additem 00031aaf after beginning the quest and then speaking to Arlen.
- On PS4 version 1.16, if toy parts are accidentally scrapped, the quest can still be completed by talking to Arlen, demanding a reward, accepting the quest, and choosing to give him the parts (even though they are not present in inventory).
- It is possible that Arlen's note will not appear next to the Giddyup Buttercup in his workshop after he has left the Slog.
- [verification overdue] After Arlen accepts the toy parts and gives the reward, completing the quest, the parts may remain in one's inventory.