Background[edit | edit source]
Gene wanders the Commonwealth to sell dogs he raised himself, albeit begrudgingly, stating that he "feels blue for a week after selling a dog."
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is a merchant.||Sells: dogs|
|This character is involved in random encounters.|
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- Gene is a character that the Sole Survivor may meet in the Commonwealth in Gene the Reluctant Dog Vendor random encounter. If the Sole Survivor is able to pass a Charisma check of 5 or higher, he will offer the junkyard dog for 250 caps. However, he seems reluctant to do so, asking the Sole Survivor multiple times if they are certain they would like to purchase his dog.
- Gene can be encountered multiple times in random encounters, and he will be willing to sell a new dog on each new encounter.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Encounter locations[edit | edit source]
- In front of Collegiate administration building, near the local Red Rocket.
- East of Starlight Drive In, near/under the red train bridge.
- Outside Outpost Zimonja.
- In Sanctuary Hills.
- At Thicket Excavations.
- Near College Square.
- Northwest of Forest Grove marsh.
- South of ArcJet Systems.
- Southwest of County crossing near bridge.
- At Sunshine Tidings co-op.
- At Tenpines Bluff.
- Outside the Museum of Witchcraft.
- Outside the Red Rocket truck stop.
- Outside Longneck Lukowski's Cannery.
- West side of Fairline Hill Estates on the road.
- At Oberland station.
- At Bedford Station.
- At Concord.
- Between Somerville Place and Suffolk County Charter School, sometimes walking across or through the tracks.
- At Abernathy farm, wandering to and from Concord.
- At Boston Police rationing site.
- At Graygarden.
- Southeast of USAF Satellite Station Olivia.
- Walking around Kingsport Lighthouse.
- Southwest of Diamond City.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Often spawns outside Abernathy farm during the day time, near the grave behind the farm. If the grave is to the west, he'll routinely spawn immediately north of the grave, slowly walking eastward.
- Gene's dogs can not be equipped with clothing items like Dogmeat can. However, these dogs can loot dead enemy attackers and auto-equip dog-related gear such as wraparound goggles, bandanas, dog chains, etc. However, their inventories are inaccessible without the use of console commands.
- Gene has a unique dialogue if the Sole Survivor is using Dogmeat as a companion.
- If Gene is dead, or is otherwise unaccountably missing, junkyard dogs can only be spawned in via the console. At any settlement use placeatme 00176337 1 to spawn a random junkyard dog and then use the workshop to send it to a settlement. The console cannot be used to spawn Gene due to his unique state in the game.
Here is a method to add Gene back to the random encounter pool if he has died (PC only):
- Open up the console and type in the command tcai. This will disable the game's combat AI to ensure that NPCs encountered as a result of the next listed step will not enter combat.
- Type in coc REHoldingCell. This is a developer cell that contains several random encounter NPCs (who will begin fighting each other if the previous step was not followed.) If Gene is dead then he should not be in this cell; if he is, then he is still alive and these steps can be ignored.
- Type in the command placeatme 00194334 to spawn Gene into this cell.
- Type in the command coc tenpinesbluff (or a different location of your choosing) to teleport somewhere in the Commonwealth to exit the cell.
- Type in the command tcai again to re-enable the combat AI (otherwise, the game would be "pacified.")
After doing this, Gene will be re-added to the random encounter pool and can be encountered again in the Commonwealth. This may also work with other random encounter NPCs who have died (although some random encounters exist in different rooms, so it is important to verify if they were in this room to begin with.)
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gene appears only in Fallout 4.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
PC Playstation 4 Xbox One If the player character interacts with Gene, he may only respond with "yeah" or some other generic dialogue, and the option to purchase a dog may not be made available. The option to purchase a dog may be fixed if you choose every other dialogue option.[verified]