The Gauss shotgun is a powerful shotgun with damage superior to other firearms in its class. Like the Gauss rifle, the Gauss shotgun can be charged to increase the damage of fired rounds. When crafted, Gauss shotguns use legendary modules, becoming legendary weapons with randomly determined effects. Although the Gauss shotgun is listed under "energy guns" when crafted, Gauss shotguns do not count as energy weapons like other Gauss weapons.
Shotgun is a misnomer for the Gauss shotgun, as it has multiple barrels (50 total) that all fire simultaneously, the Gauss shotgun is actually closer to a volley gun than a shotgun.
As with other Wastelanders weapons only available with gold bullion, Gauss shotguns cannot be traded or dropped.
Gauss shotguns are always crafted at the maximum level available to the player character. The weapon will be a one-star, two-star, or three-star legendary weapon with randomly determined effects.
Legendary module (2)
Learned from plan/recipe
Plan: Gauss shotgun
Gauss shotgun (1)
Weapon mods can only be crafted if the corresponding plan is known. Mod plans for the Gauss shotgun are bought from Samuel for gold bullion and cannot be learned from scrapping Gauss shotguns.
|Standard receiver||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x2|
|Hardened receiver||Reduced durability. Superior damage.||Hardened||–||+?||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Plan: Gauss shotgun hardened receiver||Adhesive x6|
|Prime receiver||Superior damage. Bonus damage to Scorchbeasts and Scorched.||Prime||–||+57||–||–||–||Uses ultracite ammo||–||–||–||–||Gunsmith 5|
Plan: Prime Gauss shotgun receiver
Pure crimson flux x2
Pure violet flux x2
|Refined receiver||Inferior durability. Improved accuracy, damage and hip-fire accuracy.||Refined||–||+?||–||–||+?|
|–||–||–||–||–||Plan: Gauss shotgun refined receiver||Adhesive x8|
|Vicious receiver||Reduced durability. Better accuracy. Improved hip-fire accuracy and critical shot damage.||Vicious||–||+Crit DMG||–||–||+?|
|–||–||–||–||–||Plan: Gauss shotgun vicious receiver||Adhesive x8|
|Standard barrel||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x1|
|Extended barrel||Better accuracy. Superior range.||–||–||–||–||+36||+2||–||–||+0.35||–||–||Plan: Gauss shotgun extended barrel||Adhesive x2|
|Shielded barrel||Improved range.||–||–||–||–||+?||–||–||–||–||–||–||Plan: Gauss shotgun shielded barrel||Adhesive x9|
|Standard stock||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x3|
|Aligned stock||Reduced durability. Better accuracy. Improved recoil and hip-fire accuracy.||–||–||–||–||–||+6||–||-5%||+0.7||–||–||Science Master 1|
Plan: Gauss shotgun aligned stock
|Forceful stock||Superior durability. Improved bash damage and recoil.||–||–||+Bash||–||–||+Recoil||–||-5%||–||–||–||Science Master 1|
Plan: Gauss shotgun forceful stock
|Precise stock||Better accuracy and durability. Improved bash damage and hip-fire accuracy.||–||–||–||–||–||+6||–||–||+1.2||–||–||Science Master 1|
Plan: Gauss shotgun precise stock
|Extended magazine||Reduced durability. Superior ammo capacity.||–||–||–||–||–||–||+4||+10%||–||–||–||Plan: Gauss shotgun extended magazine||?||00589365|
|Perforating magazine||Inferior durability. Superior armor penetration.||–||–||+Armor pen.||–||–||–||–||+20%||+1.05||–||–||Plan: Gauss shotgun perforating magazine||Adhesive x2|
Black titanium x4
Nuclear material x2
- The Gauss shotgun can be crafted at a weapons workbench if the corresponding plan is known. The plan can be bought from Samuel for 500 gold bullion with a Settlers reputation of Ally.
- Once the plan is known, Gauss shotguns may be found as legendary weapons, earned either as quest rewards or from the Purveyor Murmrgh, like other items that require plans to be learned to add them the legendary loot pool. They can never drop from enemies as the game is checking if the enemy that died knows the plan, which is a condition that can never be met.
Behind the scenes
Joon Choi concepted the Gauss shotgun, conceptualizing the extended, blunderbuss, and shielded barrels, as well as extended and extra power magazine modifications.
Firing the Gauss shotgun without charging will reduce the on-hit damage by more than 50%.[verified]
- The explosions created by the Gauss shotgun will deal 15% damage regardless of charge.[verified]
- Gauss rifle, rather than the "shotgun" Explosive legendary effect.[verified] If the pellets do not hit the target (e.g. shoot floor or feet), the explosion damage will be 120% instead of 15%. Gauss shotgun is using an effect based on the
- [patched] Charging the Gauss shotgun in VATS and firing may always miss. Charging the Gauss shotgun before entering VATS will never trigger the bug.
- Toggling FOV perspective or ADS while charging the Gauss shotgun may lock the player in ADS. Press the ADS button again or weapon bash to free yourself.[verified]
- CAMP allies can reward the player with an Explosive Gauss shotgun for certain daily quests. The passive explosive effect is overridden by the "shotgun" Explosive legendary effect, and will deal 3% damage. Gauss shotgun lacks the energy weapon keyword.[verified]