|For a cross-game overview, see Gauss rifle.|
The Gauss rifle can be modified with additional capacitors, a shielded barrel, and a compensator or suppressor.
Capacitors and exposed copper wiring run alongside the barrel, and a Nixie tube display above the stock displays the weapon's charge percentage. The rifle operates on a charging principle: Depressing the trigger gradually increases the charge level of the capacitors. As the charge level increases, the damage output of the round increases accordingly. The damage for less-than-fully-charged rounds is calculated proportional to the charge level at the time the round is fired.[verification overdue] It is fed rounds through a rear-mounted cylindrical magazine and its projectile produces a momentary blue trail.
The Gauss rifle is chambered for 2mm EC rounds as opposed to the microfusion cells used by the Anchorage-era variants. The Gauss rifle fires an explosive projectile that deal explosive area-of-effect damage. This enables the Gauss rifle to hit multiple targets with a single shot, provided they are clustered together in very close proximity to each other. Due to the amount of recoil and the charging rate, this weapon will not achieve the fire rate listed in its statistics. The actual fire rate is closer to 10.
Learned from plan/recipe
Plan: Gauss rifle
Gauss rifle Lv 45 (1)
- The Whitespring bunker - Sold in the military wing command center.
- Watoga Station - Sold by the vendor bot.
- Abandoned mine shaft 4 - On the back shelf in the small shed.
- Watoga Underground - In Silo 4, in a workstation, on a middle shelf, on a rectangular crate.
- Randomly awarded by events/quests in the Cranberry Bog.
- Dropped by deathclaws.
- Dropped by scorchbeasts.
- ¹The weapon itself is not explosive. However, the 2mm EC round itself adds a separate explosive projectile that causes its own damage. The explosive projectile has 15% of the base damage of the weapon. The explosive projectile's damage can also be boosted with explosive buffs. For example, Demolition Expert Rank 5 boosts explosive damage by 60%. This would boost the explosive projectile's damage by 60%, i.e. 0.15 x 1.6 = 0.24, resulting in the explosive projectile having 24% of the base damage of the weapon.
- The Gauss rifle is a semi-automatic rifle that benefits from both energy and ballistic damage buffs, but its ammunition counts as an energy weapon and uses Batteries Included for weight reduction.
- The projectile fired is wider than other ballistic bullets and will not be able to pass through some railings and other small spaces.
- When using a gamepad, the right trigger can be depressed slightly to charge the rifle but not fire when released.
- Affected by the Grounded mutation.