The exterior is a large, shallow cave with a large wood facade, and a boxcar and forklift in front. At the back of the cave is a door entrance to the interior. The exterior has a few random boxes and lanterns, as well as a weapons workbench upstairs in the wooden section.
Inside, a vestibule leads to stairs on the left, a locker room on the right, and a long tunnel ahead with railroad tracks. The tunnel descends and turns left. Opposite the turn is a shack with random boxes and the entrance to a tunnel with radiation barrels on the right. The tunnel continues on a winding descent, with dead ends to the sides, until a final end next to a hallway.
The hallway leads to a machine room with several levels. At the bottom is an armor workbench and a keypad-locked supply cage. The cage can be closed and opened by button from within.
Downward stairs lead to a tunnel entrance, illuminated by fungi. This tunnel leads to a large open chamber with uphill rail tracks, and a second entrance to the interior from the Forest. The rails uphill lead to a dead end. A steamer trunk around the corner from the second entrance contains a treasure map.
The small second entrance, next to a small shack, is located to the northeast of the map marker, at the end of an uphill railroad detour south of the railroad bridge.
- Casualty report: Flatwoods - Note, on a dead Responder courier following the train tracks to the north.
- Light er' up - Holotape, next to a toolbox inside of a shack at the southern end of the mine, just before the path turns east.
- Hemlock Holes flyer - Note, inside the mine.
- Supply cage code - After going through the tunnel, if the player character goes up the stairs on the left and around the catwalk to a set of lockers, it lies sitting in one of the lockers that has no door.
- You're in charge - Note, on a cart at the top of the staircase to the left of the interior mine entrance.
- Three potential Vault-Tec bobbleheads:
- In the left locker, in the southwest corner of the locker room (with the hole in the wall), just south of the mine entrance, inside the mine.
- Atop a ceiling mine support, in the mine junction shack, at the end of the first mine tunnel, inside the mine.
- On the top edge of the blackened wall AC unit with the light above it, on the northwest concrete wall of the main generator and gantry chamber.
- Two potential magazines:
- On the work surface with drawers, left of the locked safe (1), on the roof of the entrance area, inside the mine (interior).
- On the open locker in the upper western corner just left of the gantry steps, inside the large gantry platform and generator room inside the mine (interior).
- Potential armor mod - Outside on a cabinet at the mine's entrance, on the second floor of the scaffolding structure.
Gauley mine appears only in Fallout 76.