Background[edit | edit source]
An old mine from before the Great War, Gauley Mine was one of several locations salvaged by the Responders, mostly for its supply of dynamite. The pre-War address of the mine was 881 Interstate 59, south of Morgantown.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The exterior is a large, shallow cave with a large wood facade and a boxcar and forklift in front. At the back of the cave is a door entrance to the interior. The exterior has a few random boxes and lanterns, as well as a weapons workbench upstairs in the wooden section.
Inside, a vestibule leads to stairs on the left, a locker room on the right, and a long tunnel ahead with railroad tracks. The tunnel descends and turns left. Opposite the turn is a shack with random boxes and the entrance to a tunnel with radiation barrels on the right. The tunnel continues on a winding descent, with dead ends to the sides, until a final end next to a hallway.
The hallway leads to a machine room with several levels. At the bottom is an armor workbench and a keypad-locked supply cage. The cage can be closed and opened by a button from within. Inside of the keypad-locked supply cage, there is a hole in the wall leading to a locked door with a card reader, requiring the correct ID-card to unlock.
Downward stairs lead to a tunnel entrance, illuminated by fungi. This tunnel leads to a large open chamber with uphill rail tracks and a second entrance to the interior from the Forest. The rails uphill lead to a dead end. A steamer trunk around the corner from the second entrance contains a treasure map.
The small second entrance, next to a small shack, is located to the northeast of the map marker, at the end of an uphill railroad detour south of the railroad bridge.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Casualty report: Flatwoods - Note, on a dead Responder courier following the train tracks to the north.
- Light 'er up - Holotape, next to a toolbox inside of a shack at the southern end of the mine, just before the path turns east to a dead end.
- Hemlock Holes flyer - Note, inside the mine.
- Supply cage code - After going through the tunnel, if the player character goes up the stairs on the left and around the catwalk to a set of lockers, it lies sitting in one of the lockers that have no door.
- You're in charge - Note, on a cart at the top of the staircase to the left of the interior mine entrance.
- Gauley Mine production log - Note, on the body of a Scorched outside the mine, during Strength in Numbers.
- Three potential Vault-Tec bobbleheads:
- Inside the interior the locker room to the south of the entrance, in the southwest corner of the room, a locker.
- At the end of the first mine tunnel, in the shack at the junction, atop the mine support.
- In the main generator and gantry chamber, on the northwest concrete wall, on the top edge of the blackened wall AC unit with the light above it.
- Two potential magazines:
- On the roof of the interior entrance area, on the work surface with drawers by a locked safe.
- In the main generator and gantry chamber, in the upper western corner, on the open locker just left of the gantry steps.
- Two potential armor mods:
- Outside on a cabinet at the mine's entrance, on the second floor of the scaffolding structure.
- On a metal shelf at the southern end of the mine, just before the path turns east to a dead end.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Gauley Mine appears only in Fallout 76.