Located at 881 Interstate 59, south of Morgantown, Gauley Mine lacked the automated mining machines found in many other mines in the region, instead relying on human miners such as Carl and Tommy. To remedy this, the mine foreman looked into buying new automated equipment from Greg Harris, who both worked at the mine as a supervisor as well as ran his own mining supply business. However, after two months of empty promises and almost being killed by Greg Harris's contraption, the mine foreman cancelled the contract. However, in the meantime the mine became less and less profitable, not even breaking even from April to October 2077. This prompted the mine foreman to ask his boss whether it was time to reach out to Hornwright Industrial for assistance.
Gauley Mine was also the site of the unfinished RobCo Auto-Cache #001, which was meant to serve as RobCo Industries' alternative to Vault-Tec's Vaults, though the project was ultimately scrapped.
The exterior is a large, shallow cave with a large wood facade and a boxcar and forklift in front. At the back of the cave is a door entrance to the interior. The exterior has a few random boxes and lanterns, as well as a weapons workbench upstairs in the wooden section.
Inside, a vestibule leads to stairs on the left, a locker room on the right, and a long tunnel ahead with railroad tracks. The tunnel descends and turns left. Opposite the turn is a shack with random boxes and the entrance to a tunnel with radiation barrels on the right. The tunnel continues on a winding descent, with dead ends to the sides, until a final end next to a hallway.
The hallway leads to a machine room with several levels. At the bottom is an armor workbench and a keypad-locked supply cage. The cage can be closed and opened by a button from within. Inside of the keypad-locked supply cage, there is a hole in the wall leading to a locked door with a card reader, requiring the correct ID-card to unlock.
Downward stairs lead to a tunnel entrance, illuminated by fungi. This tunnel leads to a large open chamber with uphill rail tracks and a second entrance to the interior from the Forest. The rails uphill lead to a dead end. A steamer trunk around the corner from the second entrance contains a treasure map.
The small second entrance, next to a small shack, is located to the northeast of the map marker, at the end of an uphill railroad detour south of the railroad bridge.
- Casualty report: Flatwoods - Note, on a dead Responder courier following the train tracks to the north.
- Light 'er up - Holotape, next to a toolbox inside of a shack at the southern end of the mine, just before the path turns east to a dead end.
- Hemlock Holes flyer - Note, inside the mine.
- Supply cage code - Note, after going through the tunnel, if the player character goes up the stairs on the left and around the catwalk to a set of lockers, it lies sitting in one of the lockers that have no door.
- You're in charge - Note, on a cart at the top of the staircase to the left of the interior mine entrance.
- Gauley Mine production log - Note, on the body of a Scorched outside the mine, during Strength in Numbers.
- Three potential Vault-Tec bobbleheads:
- In the locker room to the south of the entrance, in the southwest corner of the room, inside a locker.
- At the end of the first mine tunnel, in the shack at the junction, atop the mine support.
- In the main generator and gantry chamber, on the northwest concrete wall, on the top edge of the blackened wall AC unit with the light above it.
- Two potential magazines:
- On the roof of the interior entrance area, on the work surface with drawers by a locked safe.
- In the main generator and gantry chamber, in the upper western corner, on the open locker just left of the gantry steps.
- Two potential armor mods:
- Outside on a cabinet at the mine's entrance, on the second floor of the scaffolding structure.
- On a metal shelf at the southern end of the mine, just before the path turns east to a dead end.
- Gauley Mine production log
- Light 'er up
- Greg's Mine Supply terminal entries; Greg's terminal, Day 55 - Version 0.36
- You're in charge
- Greg's Mine Supply terminal entries; Greg's terminal, Day 63 - Version XX
- A repository as smart as you
- RobCo Auto-Cache #001 terminal entries; System registration terminal
- Gauley Mine recon