The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
The Gatling plasma is a heavy energy weapon and is affected by perks in those two categories. It fires very rapidly with relatively poor accuracy. Rather than individual bullets or cells, it uses plasma cores, generally only found in higher level areas of the map. They can also be crafted. Reload is slow and the gun must "spin up" before it starts firing.
Nuclear material (7)
Gatling plasma (Lv 30)
Nuclear material (8)
Gatling plasma (Lv 40)
Nuclear material (10)
Gatling plasma (Lv 50)
- ‡ Acquired through scrapping the weapon
- Normally present in the Whitespring bunker armory. All but the final Enclave quest is required to access the vendor.
- Can be found in Government aid drops at higher levels.
- Can be found in Sam Blackwell's bunker inside the Picklock 2 safe in his office.
- Even though the in-game information indicates this weapon does physical damage, all damage is calculated using the ranged energy damage rules. Originally, neither the Anti-Armor legendary effect, nor the Stabilized perk provided any benefit over a base Gatling plasma; however, patch 13 introduced changes which apply anti-armor effects to energy resistance.
- A glitch that caused it to be loaded with only a handful of shots when it was equipped was fixed in one of the March 2019 patches, it now is loaded with an appropriate number of shots.
- While the reload animation looks like it ejects a core and inserts another, this does not occur. Reloading can be done without losing any cores as cores always stay in inventory. Reload adds the number of shots based on the core in inventory with the highest percentage. For instance, with one 90% core and two 50% cores in inventory, reload will show 250*90%=225 shots. When the weapon fires, it uses shots from one of the cores. When that core is used up, it will be deleted and subsequent shots are subtracted from another one. The reload sequence will generally, but not always, run when the shot counter reaches zero. When the Gatling is fired, one of the cores will be marked as used and will lower in percentage. After the first core is used up, the core count will reduce from three to two and subsequent firing will subtract percentage from another core.
PC Xbox One When hip-fired or at a close target, the projectile has a tendency to clip through the target. [verified]