Patented in 1864, the Gatling gun is a rotary barrel machine gun, now in a handheld configuration and also rechambered to fire modern 5mm rounds. Its distinctive hand cranking system both rotates the gun's multiple barrels and fires off individually chambered shots.
The Gatling gun has a slower rate of fire than the minigun but to compensate for this, it deals more damage per shot, and is slightly more accurate than the latter. The Gatling gun's slow fire rate and accuracy can be improved with modifications.
Short Gatling gun Lv 50 (1)
Short Gatling gun Lv 40 (1)
Short Gatling gun Lv 30 (1)
- A short version of the Gatling gun can be acquired after finishing the quest Defiance Has Fallen, along with around 200 5mm rounds.
- A short version of the weapon can be acquired at Lucky Hole Mine, through the path with the blue door, there will be a cultist wrathwing on the altar with a guaranteed chance to drop one.
- A short version of the gun may be found at Poseidon Energy Plant WV-06, inside the South Expansion, in a locked (Hacker 2) cell, located in the cooling tower.
- A plan for the Gatling gun is sometimes sold at the Watoga Shopping Plaza.
- Found as random loot on mid-tier enemies, weapon containers, and government aid drops.
- After the extra large magazine mod is applied, the reload animation in first person view changes in order to fit the magazine's shorter model. However, the animation does not change in third person and uses the same one as the standard vertical magazine.
- If the extra large magazine and front sight ring mods are added, one may find aiming through said sight slightly difficult due to it being partly obscured by the magazine model's handle.
- If the Gatling gun is modified with the extra large magazine mod and Quad legendary effect, it holds the most rounds per reload in the game for ballistic weapons, along with the minigun with the same legendary effect.
Behind the scenes
- The model for the Appalachian Thunder Pipe skin was created by Jonathan Rush.[Non-canon 1]
- The Gatling Gun is based on the real-world version from the 1860s, as designed by its namesake, Dr. Richard Gatling. The manufacturing plate in-game shows and shares the same form as the real-world versions plates. The only real difference is font, the in-game version uses Impact font which was created in 1965.