The origin of the signal is a ham radio inside a cave near the UFO crash site. Inside is a hostile alien with a ham radio and a toolbox. Outside the cave is the alien's crashed UFO, indicating the alien was transmitting a distress signal, noted by the alien's "frantic" speech.
The garbled radio beacon starts broadcasting only after the player character reaches level 20.
- PC The radio beacon may not start broadcasting at all.[verified]
- PC If the alien is killed prior to extending the satellite, turning off the ham radio will not make the signal go away from the Pip-Boy. This also happens if the satellite is extended prior to the crash event.[verified]
- PC If the ham radio is turned off before extending the satellite, its signal will not be marked as offline on the satellite display but will not be listed on the Pip-Boy radio tab.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 There is a chance the ship will not crash and the radio signal cannot be found upon reaching level 20.[verified]
- On PC, this can be fixed by entering prid 00187000 then disable into the console.