One of the most prominent corporate entities in pre-War America, GNN was a mass media corporation with several distinct divisions, such as Galaxy News Radio. Its programming was decidedly pro-government, putting a spin on every news story to present the United States in the best possible light.[Non-game 1] Perhaps the most extreme example of this tendency was broadcasting the execution of a Canadian insurgent by United States soldiers in power armor while presenting it as keeping the peace in newly annexed Canada. Another example is the spinning the massive radioactive pollutant runoff causing mutations in the local crustaceans population of the Charles River drainage basin.
Although the GNN was no longer operating after the nuclear war, some of its programs continued playing on repeat for several years after the end of the war. John Henry Eden also adapted fragments of GNN news reports when creating its presidential persona.
Known programs available on GNN included:
- Weather Watch with Horris Aimes (every night at 6:30)
- Reports from Our Brave Boys and Girls in Uniform live from the front line.
- A Presidential Affair (special program)
Behind the scenes
- The Galaxy News logo appears originally in the introductory movie for Fallout (the original game in the series). The popularity of Fallout (along with the distinctive style of the logo) led to the logo's adaptation into the brand symbol for Interplay, the original publisher of the game.
- The abbreviation of GNN is a direct parody of CNN, an American news network.
- Fallout 4 loading screen hints: "Once the local office of Galaxy News Network, GNN Plaza is now the headquarters of the Gunners, the Commonwealth's most organized and dangerous mercenary group."
- Fallout intro
- Nahant Oceanological Society terminals; research terminal, Lobster Growth
- Newscaster: "And now a look at sports. Something that is, unquestionably, inescapably, American. I am referring of course, to our great national pastime, baseball. This afternoon, right here in the city, Boston's swatting sultans will swing for the fences. Led by star pitcher Matt "The Missile" Murtagh, Boston hopes to defeat Texas, and deliver their first World Series victory since 1918."
(Newscaster's dialogue) Note: The phrase "Something that is, unquestionably, inescapably, American. I am referring of course, to our great national pastime, baseball." is repeated word-for-word by John Henry Eden in one of Enclave Radio's fireside chats.
- Seen on GNN ad poster in Fallout 4
- Bleeding Kate's Grindhouse terminal entries; Kate's terminal, Inventory
- Interplay Entertainment original logo lacked the rotating globe and orbiting rocket.
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition pp.381-382: "[6.17] GUNNERS PLAZA
This was once the headquarters of the Galaxy News Network, delivering pro-government televised newsreels. Since the bombs dropped, the station has changed hands and is now the main base of a gang of ruthless mercenaries known as the Gunners. Their insignia (the “targeted skull”) is daubed on their defenses. You can use a side fire escape or mount a charge from the north to reach the roof (and Fusion Core). The two main doors to the ground floor rotunda are on the sides of the structure."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)