Background[edit | edit source]
Established beneath Mama Dolce's Food Processing, the Fujiniya Intelligence Base was part of Operation Trinitite, an attempt to infiltrate and destroy American nuclear silos and factory cities found in West Virginia. To maintain secrecy, strict security protocols were implemented, mandating ID badges on all personnel and zero tolerance for unauthorized or unscheduled access to and from the facility. Every operative was subject to random searches, with contraband warranting capital punishment. Any suspects were detained and interrogated to obtain counterintelligence, then eliminated after a maximum of 12 hours.
Initial recon conducted by Chinese operatives revealed that the intelligence was faulty. The party's maps were off a fair bit on the actual location of the sites. The operatives identified them correctly as nuclear silos but could not locate the rumored massive factories. If anything, these sites were far less advanced than the ones on the west coast. Further direct surveillance revealed that visitors were infrequent to the point that the operatives started to believe these sites were either mothballed or set up as decoys. They requested clearance to begin making contact with members of the local community to confirm suspicions that the silos were non-functioning.
Subsequent evaluation revealed that Operation Trinitite had to be adjusted. Local informants revealed that the rumors were false. "Appalachian factory cities" were revealed to be the heavily automated Watoga, which did appear rife with useful technology. Station chief Xi decided to shift its resources over to focus on the exploration of this place for advances that might be able to serve the party's ends. Although the operatives did recover a copy of the nuclear launch code encryption from Sugar Grove, even making headway in decrypting parts of the code, the mechanized army guarding the silos, combined with the limited arsenal at his disposal, forced Xi to mothball the project. Weapons continued to be stockpiled at Fujiniya, with as many as 75 Type 93 rifles, 1200 units of 5.56mm ammunition and 30 officer's swords shipped out in the last months before the war.
The facility's mission shifted. Fujiniya was expanded with laboratories, the most important of which was the stealth R&D center under Chief Scientist Quao established circa 2076. His team focused on developing new cloaking and stealth-based technologies, as well as techniques to support covert field operatives deployed across Appalachia. Major obstacles included the fact that advanced components necessary for their work were limited in supply in the United States, while logistical difficulties made it impossible to secure a functioning stealth armor or the suit schematics due to demand from Anchorage and other various war efforts. Furthermore, they did not have access to the best and brightest minds of the Republic, nor did they have regular reinforcements. The last group of reinforcements were halfway wiped out by security because they did not have the proper credentials. Additionally, the constraints of working in a covert capacity dramatically limited the type of testing that could be done, as well as the hours when testing could occur undetected. Although Quao requested reassignment, none took place.
The other laboratory added to the facility focused on robotics, and it achieved far greater success than Quao. The researchers focused on revamping the notorious Liberators. The new robot line was provided with an intimidating paint job, propaganda speaker, a high powered laser at long range and spinning blades at short distances, and were planned to be able to deploy as a stationary turret. The new design was submitted as a proposal for a vanguard force in a hypothetical invasion of the contiguous United States, with the researchers hoping to secure funding for their next round of covert field testing in the Appalachia region. The request was granted and the facility was expanded with a factory mass-producing the new and improved drones. Although they had earned a shoddy reputation over the years, the Mk 0-V proved to be a success. They were capable of actually hitting their target with built-in lasers, as well as being equipped with a spinning blade that went right for the ankles, and the speakers provided a steady stream of propaganda. In fact, after Fujiniya was expanded, the facility was designed around two giant launch tubes disguised as smokestacks on the exterior. The automated production lines proved to be reliable and effective, producing the new version at a steady pace.
The Great War came as a surprise, as the facility staff was not informed of the launches and left to fend for themselves. A nuclear strike two kilometers south of Mama Dolce's took the facility's personnel by surprise. Cut off from command, the station chief made an executive decision, ordering all agents to abandon their posts and attempt to blend in with the local population. Xi figured that the Party leaders were dead, leaving all operatives functioning independently. While he had little sympathy for defeatists, he did not stop them from abandoning their posts. His orders simply reflected what he believed was the best chance of survival the operatives had, trapped thousands of miles behind enemy lines with no guarantee that they could ever reconnect with the homeland.
However, this was not the end of their woes. Enclave operatives under Agent Jefferson Grey discovered the presence of Fujiniya and stormed the facility. The Chinese holdouts were executed after they refused to surrender. After they were disposed of, the Liberator schematics, accumulated stealth research, and communications were transferred to external servers for analysis, with the local servers being wiped clean. This gave the Enclave full control of the facility. Before moving out, Gray left a small detachment behind to try and deny the location to any overly curious locals. The new station chief had his operatives learn how to operate and maintain the food processing capabilities of the factory, in a bid to gain the trust of the local population. Secrecy served the infiltrators and it allowed the Enclave to learn the capabilities of the facility and see if it was a match for their primary objective.
However, the machinery was too far gone to keep running and constant repairs attracted too much attention. Instead, the Enclave concocted a cover story involving the factory being haunted. The security team had been stealthily killing locals and placing the bodies around the factory, using the resources in the stealth research lab to give a mystical backstory to the deaths. This, in addition to spreading rumors with the local populace, made people too scared to even cross the river in Morgantown.
The attempt to harness the facility to the Enclave's ends failed, however. The Liberators proved to be a constant threat, starting when one of them literally jumped on the Enclave site commander while he was in the middle of a bowel movement, and continuing with a pattern of constant attacks from the robots. Coupled with increased interest and attacks topside at the factory, countless machinery failures, and rolling power outages, the site commander recommended scrapping the mission entirely.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The bunker is accessed through a fake intake pipe on the outside of Mama Dolce's Food Processing and requires the factory manager's key card (found in the office on the upper floor, on the desk) to open. The pipe leads into the facility entrance and security checkpoint. It is defended by a pair of leveled turrets, so caution is advised. The right side door at the checkpoint leads to the security booth, which contains a terminal that can be used to deactivate the turrets and a pre-placed Chinese officer sword together with minor loot. The left door leads to a small technical area, with an opening that can be used to take a shortcut to the lower floor.
Down the staircase lies the main underground floor, with derelict machines. Behind the far wall (from the staircase) is the facility's barracks, which contains a Vault-Tec bobblehead spawn point near the door. The barracks connect to the toilets and showers, both in deep disrepair. Liberators are common here and will constantly attack. The real bounty lies on the second floor of the bunker, accessible through staircases deeper in the facility. These lead either to a derelict intelligence analysis room, where the Chinese operatives attempted to crack the mystery of Appalachian silos, or down to the Liberator launch bay.
The intel room is derelict and contains little in the way of interest beyond minor food items and other assorted loot, there is also a map on the wall with a number of location pins, viewing these will put the respective location on the map. The mess hall opposite does not contain much of interest either, however, there are several points worth noting down the corridor. These include the generator room just off the main hall, with a fusion core that can be looted from the machines, and the stealth research laboratory at the end, with several leveled robots that may include a Mr. Handy and protectrons. Near the lab is the infirmary, still holding remains of prisoners taken by Grey's men and tortured. Note a locked safe near the entrance from the laboratory and the abundance of potential loot.
Finally, there is the Liberator launch bay with more robots. It contains a locked weapons enclosure that can be opened from the locked level 1 terminal on the table overlooking the Liberator manufacturing center and the launch bays at the base of the smokestacks.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Four potential Vault-Tec bobbleheads:
- In the northeast corner of the dormitory, by the door, on a small wooden side cabinet shelf.
- In the big laboratory chamber (where a red steamer trunk is), between a ladder and a protectron pod, on a metal shelf.
- In the southwest corner of a communications room, near an orange toolbox and a fallen Chinese flag, on one of the computers.
- In the southwestern corner of the main processing chamber, in the lower section, near the huge cylinder, on top of a mainframe computer.
- Four potential magazines:
- In the southern section of the big laboratory (where a red steamer trunk is), on the raised area near the dead potted plant, on the shelf of the metal shelving trolley.
- Along the south wall of the infirmary room, between two stretchers, on top of the metal shelf trolley.
- Inside the dormitory, to the southwest, on the lower bunk with the skeleton on it.
- In the kitchen, along the window shutter wall, on the square lab table.
- Potential power armor - In the locked (ID) armory closet, in the Liberator launch bay. Unlocked at a computer on a tube. The other card reader locked door is opened by hacking the terminal in the same room.
- Plan: Chemistry station - On the large table in the stealth research lab near a red steamer trunk, in the lower level of the base.
- Two potential plans:
- Inside the stealth lab, on a table
- Inside the medical lab, on a table.
- Potential armor mod - Inside the main armory, on a desk.
- Potential weapon mod - Inside the dormitory, inside a locker, on the bottom shelf.
- Potential recipe - Inside a chem cooler by the two protectron pods across from the armory.
- Three Chinese officer swords:
- One on a metal shelf to the right upon entering the base itself.
- One on a metal shelf in an armory in the room with the silo control terminal, behind a maglock door.
- One on a wooden shelf in the main armory, behind a maglock door.
- Fusion core - In the generator room, behind some machinery in a console near the stealth research lab on the lower level of the base.
- Stealth Boy - Inside the main armory, on a cabinet shelf to the left of an ammo box, behind a maglock door.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The Fujiniya Intelligence Base appears only in Fallout 76.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Fujiniya is a direct transliteration of 弗吉尼亚, the Chinese spelling of "Virginia."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, Security Procedures
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, 0.0.0.1
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, 0.0.0.12
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal 0.0.2.8
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, Nuclear Silo Access
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, Shipment Status
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; Stealth Lab terminal, Stealth Lab Director Summary
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; launch bay terminal, Launch Bay Director Summary
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, Liberator bots
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, Evacuation Plans
- We have failed
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; launch bay terminal, NOTICE: ALL PERSONNEL
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; launch bay terminal, Remote Team Operation Log
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, Comm server wipe complete
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, Change of plans
- Fujiniya Intelligence Base terminal entries; security terminal, Primary mission failed