The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Check in with Lou
Meg will ask the player character to check on Lou's progress with the vault job, who is at the Mysterious cave. Travel to the location and enter the keypad code given by Meg. The keypad code is randomized and is listed in the quest description if needed. Once the code is entered, head inside the elevator.
After arriving by the elevator to the entrance of Vault 79, approach with caution. Lou will be tied up and a yao guai is next to him, sleeping. Kill the yao guai to rescue Lou. Once the yao guai has been killed, untie Lou to continue. Next, speak to Lou, he will explain that Lev and other members of the gang sabotaged the vault heist by stealing his remote detonator and leaving him for dead. Return to Meg at the Crater to report Lev's betrayal.
Find Lev's mole
Back at the Crater, Meg will suspect that someone is acting as a mole for Lev, and she wants the player character to find out who, and deal with them as the player character sees fit. The next objective is to interrogate Axel, Barb, and Creed. Optionally, the player character can speak to Molly the bartender if needed to figure out who is the mole.
Interrogate each raider while minding their individual descriptions. Axel will lie to protect others, Barb will lie to save face for others to take the blame, and Creed will tell the truth if pressured enough.
- Speaking to Axel reveals that he and Barb are in a relationship, and Axel will lie about being Lev's mole to protect Barb. He will hesitate when the player character asks about Barb.
- Speaking to Barb confirms that she and Axel are in a relationship, and she will instantly divert the blame to Creed, her brother, stating that Creed is Lev's mole.
- Speaking to Creed reveals that he is easily pressured to tell the truth when threatened. Creed will claim that he is not Lev's mole.
- Optionally, the player character can speak to Molly the bartender, for the truth.
- Attempting to intimidate Molly by threatening her will result in a small loss to Raider reputation.
- Molly will ask the player character for 300 caps in expenses (500 caps if the player character previously threatened her), in exchange for the information.
- A Charisma 8+ dialogue option is available to bring down the price to 200 caps (300 caps if the player character previously threatened her).
- Bribing Molly may be necessary to obtain the information of who is Lev's mole. Alternatively, the player character can tell Molly they wish to figure it out on their own.
Accuse the correct raider, Barb, and make her confess to being the mole. The player character has the option to either spare Barb, or kill her. Sparing Barb but threatening to kill her personally will result in a small gain to Raider reputation. Once the mole has been taken care of, and the location of Lev's hideout now revealed, it is time to stop Lev.
Bring Lev to justice
Travel to Lev's hideout at Poseidon Energy Plant WV-06's South Expansion. Kill all hostile raiders on the way to reach Lev, including Fisher and Surge. Fisher will be on the ground in raider power armor and wielding a minigun, while Surge will be on top of the makeshift tower above Lev's room in the middle of the cooling tower. Lev will be in his room in the middle of the cooling tower, the doors locked by Lev's hideout key, which can be looted by killing either Surge or Fisher (whoever is killed second will have the key). Once all hostile raiders in the vicinity have been killed, it is time to confront Lev. Open the doors to the middle workstation to confront Lev. Lev will be inside his room, speak to him to continue.
Various S.P.E.C.I.A.L. dialogue options are available: Strength, Perception, Endurance and Agility, each at 8+, in order to make Lev talk.
Lev will then willingly answer questions about how and why he betrayed Meg's gang, berating the Vault Dweller for the many possible questions. If asked about Rocco, he will tell the player character about his contact at Foundation. Once the player character has finished asking Lev any questions, He will give the Vault Dweller no choice but to kill him. Lev will refuse to be spared either way, even when given the option to leave Appalachia. Killing Lev is the only option to progress the quest. Once Lev has been killed, take Lou's remote detonator from his corpse. Return to Meg at the Crater once ready.
Tying up loose ends
Optionally, before returning to Meg, the Vault Dweller can travel to Foundation and ask Ward about Rocco. Ward will be angry, but will mention that Rocco was exiled from Foundation for sowing discord among the people and ammo and weapons gone missing. Ward will mark the player character's map where Rocco is hiding, at Spruce Knob Boat Rental. Travel to Spruce Knob Campground and enter the Boat Rental building near the lake, dispatching any mirelurks nearby in order to enter.
Once inside the Spruce Knob Boat Rental building, the player character can find Rocco in the back room past the counter doors. Speak to Rocco to progress the optional objective. There are two options to deal with Rocco, to spare him or to kill him:
- If one wishes to spare him, continue to ask Rocco questions until the dialogue option for him to leave Appalachia is available, this will result in a small gain to Raider reputation.
- An additional option is to say that he can live, and then kill him. The player character will receive double the reputation gain with the Raiders.
Once Rocco has been dealt with, return to Meg at the Crater for a reward.
Return to Meg
Meg will ask if everything is taken care of now. Lamenting the loss of Fisher and Surge as well as expressing her scorn towards the intolerant Lev.
- Telling Meg that Barb was the mole will result in a small gain of Raider reputation. Meg will spare Barb but keep her in line.
- Telling Meg about Rocco, and whether he was spared or killed, will result in a small gain of Raider reputation. If Rocco was spared, Meg will state that it was a rookie mistake, but that he is not their problem anymore. If Rocco was killed, Meg will say that sometimes examples have to be set and will applaud the player character for their decision.
With enough people still alive for the vault job, everything is good to go.
Behind the scenes
- patch 22.214.171.124, it may not have been possible to enter Rocco's hideout at Spruce Knob Boat Rental. As team leader, or as a solo player, activating the doorway dimmed the HUD label from the door for a few seconds as usual, but there was no load screen and eventually the label was restored to the brighter state. This was corrected in patch 126.96.36.199's hotfix.[verified] Prior to
If the player character is female, they will will not have the option to ask Rocco any more questions and will only get the ability to attack Rocco.[verified]
- Because the dialogue option is flagged to incorrectly check for male player characters, there is a 50% chance Rocco will incorrectly call male player characters "lady."[verified]