The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Background[edit | edit source]
Sergeant Radcliff first enlisted into the Army during the onset of the Sino-American War, and was immediately shipped off to the frontlines. He described himself as a "dumb kid" who survived thanks to his squadmates, Captain Fields and Sergeant Thompson, watching out for him, with him losing only one toe to frostbite as compared to Thompson, who lost three. Radcliff is the squad's technical expert, and he describes himself as highly knowledgeable about all manner of robots and systems.
All three - as well as several military working dogs, including Private Lucky - were later part of the original team responsible for moving the gold reserves at Fort Knox to Vault 79. However, the Vault closed, and they were left outside when the Great War struck. For years, they wandered, always staying near the region, returning when they heard it was safe enough to return.
The squad eventually ended up in Pittsburgh, where they unsuccessfully attempted to maintain order. In the aftermath, seeing Captain Fields wounded, Radcliff ruminated on their survival and considered simply retiring and forgetting the past. However, they were convinced to hang on after hearing a broadcast from military remnants back in Appalachia, and became convinced to return "home." On their return trip, the soldiers ended up following and observing the Settlers as the Settlers made their journey from the Pitt to Appalachia. Eventually, they all agreed to a meeting with the Vault Dweller at the ransacked bunker. Radcliff also has quite a sense of humor and will often make jokes even during life-or-death situations.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is involved in quests.||• Duty Calls|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Duty Calls: Radcliff and his squad are first met in the ransacked bunker. Fields has Radcliff assist in going to the RobCo Research Center to obtain specialty tools to assist in disabling turrets in the upcoming heist.
- Division of Wealth: Radcliff, Paige and Jen are all waiting in the basement of Freddy Fear's House of Scares. However, Penelope Hornwright is missing and must be rescued.
- All That Glitters: Radcliff, Jen and Penelope Hornwright begin to break into Vault 79. The security system and feral ghouls must be fought, and Radcliff and Jen will assist in fighting them as temporary followers.
- Secrets Revealed: After locating the surviving Secret Service agents, Radcliff and Jen assist in restarting the vault reactor.
Notes[edit | edit source]
Upon reaching Foundation, he and Jen begin to constantly bicker, leading some to insinuate they have mutual feelings for each other. Radcliff will also express his desire to finally retire from his military life and settle down as a farmer.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Captain Fields, Sergeant Thompson, Sergeant Radcliff, Private Lucky, Odysseus, and Angel are all identified as members of The Old Guard. Their presence is a nod to the real-world 947th Military Police Detachment, part of the U.S. Army’s 4th Battalion, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment, otherwise known as The Old Guard. This unit has the second largest Military Working Dog detachment in the continental United States and works closely with the U.S. Secret Service, similar to their role in Fallout 76.
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and is speculative and may not be accurate.|
- After preparing a brain during Duty Calls, Radcliff will call the player character "chef brainardee," likely referencing the canned pasta brand Chef Boyardee.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
Appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Old Guard, Vol 14: Ch 2
- Vault Dweller: "How did you end up here?"
Oliver Fields: "Thompson, Radcliff and I were all part of the team at Fort Knox that moved the gold here. The vault shut before we could get in though. We wandered the wasteland, always staying nearby. Once we heard it was safe, we came here. Damn glad we did too."
- Paige: I had to reach out to some... specialists who've been shadowing us since the Pitt. They've all agreed to meet, but they want to talk to you first.
- Vault Dweller: "Can you tell me about the other people here?"
Oliver Fields: "They're all upstanding folk. Paige wouldn't let them in if they weren't. Only personal problem I've got is Radcliff and Jen constantly sniping at each other. Most of us wish they would just shack up and get it over with."
- Fred Radcliff: "No offense to Fields or Thompson, but I'm thinking about retiring to one of those farmsteads. Grow some crops, take naps, escape Lucky's drool."
- Fred Radcliff: "All right, look at you. The chef supreme of brains. Chef brainardee. Chef des brains-ine."