| ||For other characters named Frank in the Fallout series, see Frank.|
Described as a kind of "ultra super mutant in power armor," having been witnessed laughing off plasma rifle fire and ripping deathclaws and armored humans in half with his bare hands, he is one of the deadliest entities to have walked the wasteland.
Horrigan is a huge man-like armored figure, born in 2211. Originally a Secret Service agent for Enclave President Dick Richardson, Horrigan was sent out with several other teams to search for slaves for use in excavating the remains of the Mariposa Military Base. In September of 2236, scientists unearthed the F.E.V. and mutations began to occur among those who come in contact with it, including Horrigan, who was quickly transported back to the Enclave for further research.
Sometime between 2236 and 2238, Frank Horrigan underwent his transformation into a super mutant. During this period, he was kept under heavy sedation and operated on by Enclave technicians and scientists under the directions of Dr. Charles Curling.
Following testing in January of 2239, it was decided that Horrigan should be activated for field operations.
After a series of successful and bloody missions ending in March of 2239,[verification overdue] the Enclave created a modified version of power armor specifically to encapsulate Horrigan's bulk. From this point forward, Frank was "married" to his suit. He could not be separated from it as it continually pumped him full of drugs, acting as a "life support."
Horrigan was eventually defeated in 2242 by a tribal known as the Chosen One. Despite being literally torn in half at the waist, Horrigan was able to gather enough strength for some final words. Though he claimed to have activated the Enclave Oil Rig's self-destruct mechanism, this appears to have actually been a bluff. The reactor meltdown triggered by the Chosen One destroyed the oil rig and all traces of Frank Horrigan.
Horrigan is a mutant, but he had been a monster before his exposure to FEV in the military base, as he had many psychological problems. Horrigan never considered himself a mutant; only the scientists at the Enclave would have considered him one, but they mostly referred to him as an "experiment," and even then, not to his face. Most soldiers considered Horrigan a walking nuke, something the tech boys built, and they were not generally aware of his mutant status. Most did consider him a freak, and there were few soldiers who wanted to accompany him on missions.
Horrigan's loyalty to the Presidency, the Enclave and the armed forces was present before his exposure to FEV, and it was reinforced by Presidential Directive through various conditioning and testing programs developed by the Enclave. Horrigan's low intelligence (which was further damaged by the FEV exposure) made these conditioning programs take root easily.
Standing more than 12 feet tall, Horrigan is significantly taller and bulkier than a standard super mutant. His FEV mutation was further augmented with controlled injections of an experimental modified version of FEV developed by the Enclave, resulting in Horrigan being a "next-gen" super mutant: stronger, faster, tougher and just plain meaner. Additionally, a special suit of power armor was cybernetically grafted onto his body, transforming him into a walking death machine without peer. Cybernetic elements include bionic eyes, arm control mechanisms and leg rotators.
Horrigan has 999 HP, and is equipped with two unique weapons normally unobtainable, an End Boss plasma gun and an End Boss knife. He is also very fast, having a great amount of AP (being able to attack several times per round). If his weapons are disabled (either due to running out of ammo, or if his limbs are crippled by repeated aimed shots) Horrigan will engage in hand-to-hand combat with his enemies to the death. Normally, he continually fires his gun until he runs out of ammo, at which point he changes for his knife.
Additionally, Horrigan's armor grants him high resistance against small arms fire, explosions and laser and plasma bolts, but is somewhat vulnerable to electricity. This special cybernetic armor cannot be bypassed even by critical hits, which makes him extremely hard to kill, even relative to his high number of Hit Points.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character has a talking head.|
- Stop the Enclave: After somehow finding a way to destroy the Enclave Oil Rig, Horrigan will confront the Chosen One and try to take them down. The Chosen One must fight him.
- Killing Frank will trigger a unique death animation:
|Stage 1||Stage 2|
- Horrigan's personal weapons can be obtained either by killing him and positioning an NPC in the same hex he was standing in when he died, killing that follower, and then looting both, or by a save editor. His armor is not obtainable in any way.
- His armor is like a protective and defensive survival armor directly grafted to his body. It is part of the skin of Frank Horrigan (like the super mutants' armor of Fallout and Fallout 2), and is therefore not an item.
- The mutagenic serum does not work on Horrigan, as he is not an average mutant.
- Once defeated, he will engage in dialogue, without legs and crawling on his arms, before dying.
- Some NPCs claim that the mutated toe is a one hit K.O. device for destroying Frank Horrigan, but it is merely a myth.
- Though he has placeholder graphics for both reactions, Horrigan is the only character with a talking head that cannot be impressed or made furious.
- If blinded, he switches from the plasma gun to his knife.
- When killed, he appears as a new entry in the Pip-Boy 2000 kills section. His section is named "Big Bad Boss Kills," and within it, he is described as a "genetically engineered total homicidal maniac cyborg bodyguard."
- Frank Horrigan, along with Colonel Royez, Gaius Magnus and Ulysses are the only antagonists in the series that have 10 points in all of the SPECIAL stats.
- "Dumping the F.E.V. toxin into our air doesn't make you a hero. You're just another mutant that needs to be put down. Making our reactor melt-down means things are going to be pretty hot in here soon. Pity you won't live long enough to see it. You're not a hero, you're just a walking corpse.""
- "We just did. Time for talking's over."
- "Me, Frank Horrigan, that's who. United States Secret Service. You aren't going anywhere from here."
- "You mutant scum! Just like you to try a trick like that. It won't help you though, nothing will... now."
- (Defeated) "You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........"
Frank Horrigan is the final boss and antagonist of Fallout 2, who also appears in a special encounter early in the game killing some defiant "peasants." He is also seen killing Brotherhood of Steel agent Matt in a cutscene in the San Francisco Brotherhood outpost if the Chosen One accesses the ACE computer terminal and asks what happened to him. Analogously, another scene of Horrigan killing deathclaws can be seen in Vault 13 after the Enclave raids it a second time. He was a talking head voiced by Michael Dorn (who also voiced Marcus).
Behind the scenesEdit
- He was named after Clint Eastwood's character in the film In the Line of Fire. Frank Horrigan from the movie was also a secret service agent whose task was to protect the US president.
- In his last words, Horrigan uses the phrase Semper Fi. "Semper Fi" is short for "Semper Fidelis," which is Latin for "Always Faithful," and is the motto of the United States Marine Corps.
In the SFall 3.2a version of Fallout 2 (shipped with the game if purchased from Steam), Frank Horrigan may be completely impervious to damage dealt by the Chosen One during the final battle, only receiving damage from the turrets and Granite's squad if they are made friendly. It is unknown if this is an avoidable glitch, or a permanent glitch with the game's version. [verified]