|This page is about the current version of the location, as it appears after Wastelanders. For the old version of the location, the public workshop before Wastelanders, see Spruce Knob.|
A fortified settlement built on the site of a pre-War tourist attraction, Foundation is the main base of the Settlers, a group of people that came from Pittsburgh under the leadership of Paige in the hope that it would offer some reprieve from the horrors in the north. Upon their arrival, and subsequent discovery of Spruce Knob, they repurposed the existing buildings, cleared the surrounding trees and Foundation was formed. Ever since, Foundation has been a haven for other settlers in Appalachia, and an eyesore for the Raiders at the Crater. Foundation's power comes from its main fusion generator.
Sometime after arriving at Foundation, Ward took charge of the day-to-day operations of the settlement, although still formally answering to Paige. The settlement is the first step in the faction's plan to reclaim Appalachia.
Much of Foundation is built on wooden logs, obtained thanks to the settlement's own mill saw at the Builder's Nest. The town contains several buildings, including a barracks, boarding house, and a variety of stores ran by the Sunnys. The Spruce Knob observation deck is located in its center. There are two instanced interior locations - Founder's Hall and Foundation supply room. Fast traveling to Foundation will spawn the player west of the settlement, on the road leading to the main gate. When Minerva visits Foundation, her tent will be placed along the eastern side of the main road, between the main gate and the fast travel destination.
|Foundation - Exterior|
|Davie Taylor||Derrick Taylor||Elsie Taylor|
|Sunny (armory)||Sunny (general store)||Sunny (kitchen)|
|Gate guard||Settler guards x7||Settlers x18|
|Brahmin x1||Chickens x?|
|Jen||Paige||Aubrie Willem (optional; after Here to Stay)|
|Penelope Hornwright (after Trade Secrets)||Tutti Frutti (after Trade Secrets)||Sergeant Fred Radcliff (after Duty Calls)|
|Private Lucky (after Duty Calls)||Captain Oliver Fields (after Duty Calls)||Sergeant Thompson (after Duty Calls)|
|Agent Mochou (optional; after Invisible Ties)||Recalibrated Liberator (after Invisible Ties)||Settler forager (optional; before recruiting)|
|Foundation supply room|
|Gloria Chance||Sunny||Tad Chance|
|Mike Tiller (optional; after Supplying Demands)||Cassie Halloway (after The Catalyst)|
|Ayla||Chloe (formerly)||Frankie Beckett (formerly)|
|Heather Ellis (formerly)||Luis Ramirez (formerly)||Rocco (formerly)|
- Elsie's story - Note, in the Taylors' home, on a kitchen counter (cannot be taken).
- Ward's journal - Note, in the medical office pod across from the power armor stations (cannot be taken).
- Potential magazine - On the east side of Foundation, at a small guard house near a gate, on a desk.
- Potential weapon mod - Immediately north of Foundation, next to an army skeleton at a satellite console, inside a military vehicle, in the back row.
|The following is based on Fallout 76 cut content.|
- Daily: A Refreshing Outlook
- Daily: Davie's Secret Mission
- Daily: Donations for the Clinic
- Daily: Fieldhand Needed!
- Daily: Restock the Armory
- Daily: Stewing Over Things
|End of information based on Fallout 76 cut content.|
- Scavengers occasionally visit the settlement.
- Settler wanderer mentions that she came to Appalachia with Paige's group, but decided against staying with them at Foundation.
- Being at the top of Spruce Knob, Foundation is the highest settlement in Appalachia.
- Around Foundation there are raider paintings, including some of the old raider decals and the logo of the Gourmands, Diehards, Trappers and Blackwater Bandits. The decals are not static, and will be updated with other logos after some time. These paintings were also involved in the cut quest A Refreshing Outlook.
- None of the containers within Foundation will contain instanced loot.
- As of patch 18.104.22.168, yao guai and Scorched no longer spawn in the settlement.
- As of patch 22.214.171.124, fast traveling to Foundation is free of charge.
- The weather vane on the roof of the Taylor's residence is not correctly aligned to the cardinal directions, with the north indicator facing west, the east indicator facing north, the south indicator facing east, and the west indicator facing south.[verified]
- Samuel will occasionally wander from his designated position at the direction bulletin board.[verified]
- Grahm passes through Foundation, he may become stuck inside the southside moat or underneath the overpass near the Founder's Hall.[verified] When
- Scorched officers and feral ghoul officers may occasionally wander into Foundation.[verified]
Behind the scenes
According to level designer Steve Massey, Foundation replaced Spruce Knob as it was previously a "pretty boring workshop location" and it was selected due to its central location within the Savage Divide.[Non-canon 1]
- Fallout 76 loading screens: "The Settlers at Foundation rely on cooperation and collaboration, but respect the guidance of Paige and Ward, who are the closest the settlement has to leaders."
- Vault Dweller:"What can you tell me about the others?"
Samuel: "Ward's in change out here. Oh, he'll say he ain't, but he is. Of course, he reports to Paige for the big stuff. When he points, they all jump. I reckon it's because he always puts Foundation ahead of himself. As for the rest of them, I'm still getting to know everyone."
- Paige's journal, entry 1
- Davenport: "The main generator at Foundation provides power to the settlement. The Overseer wants to ensure it's in good working order. A photograph of the generator will tell us everything we need to know, so that's your first target."
- Fallout 76 loading screens: "The settlement of Foundation represents the first step in the Settlers' plan to reclaim Appalachia, through building, expansion and community."
- Davenport: "As I'm sure you observed during your visit to the Foundation settlement, much of the construction there is based on wooden logs. If the settlement is to thrive and grow, then the mill saw used to cut the logs must remain in good working order. We'd like you to photograph the saw, so that we can ascertain its condition."
- Note: if Settler forager has already been recruited (via dialogue in the Founder's Hall or his random encounter) and has had his chair built at a C.A.M.P., he will no longer appear at the Founder's Hall.