|This page is about the current version of the location, as it appears after Wastelanders. For the old version of the location, the public workshop before Wastelanders, see Spruce Knob.|
A fortified settlement built on the site of a pre-War tourist attraction, Foundation is the main base of the Settlers, a group of people that came from Pittsburgh under the leadership of Paige in the hope that it would offer some reprieve from the horrors in the north. Upon their arrival, and subsequent discovery of Spruce Knob, they repurposed the existing buildings, cleared the surrounding trees and Foundation was formed.
Foundation contains several buildings, including a barracks, boarding house, and a variety of stores ran by the Sunnys. The Spruce Knob observation deck is located in its center. There are two instanced interior locations - Founder's Hall and Foundation supply room. Fast traveling to Foundation will spawn the player south of the settlement, on the road leading to the main gate. When Minerva visits Foundation, her tent will be placed along the eastern side of the main road, between the main gate and the fast travel destination.
|Davie Taylor||Derrick Taylor||Elsie Taylor|
|Maggie Williams||Minerva (on rotation)||Samuel|
|Sunny (general store)||Sunny (armory)||Sunny (kitchen)|
|Tommy Ten-Toes (on rotation)||Ward||Gate guard|
|Settler guards x7||Settlers x18|
|Brahmin x1||Chickens x?|
|Aubrie Willem (optional; after Here to Stay)||Jen||Private Lucky (after Duty Calls)|
|Mochou (optional; after Invisible Ties)||Captain Oliver Fields (after Duty Calls)||Paige|
|Penelope Hornwright (after Trade Secrets)||Recalibrated Liberator (after Invisible Ties)||Settler forager (optional; before recruiting)|
|Sergeant Thompson (after Duty Calls)||Tutti Frutti (after Trade Secrets)|
|Foundation supply room|
|Mike Tiller (optional; after Supplying Demands)||Gloria Chance||Sunny|
|Ayla||Frankie Beckett (formerly)|
- Elsie's story - Note, in the Taylors' home, on a kitchen counter (cannot be taken).
- Ward's journal - Note, in the medical office pod across from the power armor stations (cannot be taken).
- Potential magazine - On the east side of Foundation, at a small guard house near a gate, on a desk.
- None of the containers within Foundation will contain instanced loot.
- Settler wanderer mentions that she came to Appalachia with Paige's group, but decided against staying with them at Foundation.
- Being at the top of Spruce Knob, Foundation is the highest settlement in Appalachia.
- As of patch 126.96.36.199, yao guai and Scorched no longer spawn in the settlement.
- As of patch 188.8.131.52, fast traveling to Foundation is free of charge.
- The weather vane on the roof of the Taylor's residence is not correctly aligned to the cardinal directions, with the north indicator facing west, the east indicator facing north, the south indicator facing east, and the west indicator facing south.[verified]
- Samuel will occasionally wander from his designated position at the direction bulletin board.[verified]
- Grahm passes through Foundation, he may become stuck inside the southside moat or underneath the overpass near the Founder's Hall.[verified] When
- Scorched officers and feral ghoul officers may occasionally wander into Foundation.[verified]
Behind the scenes
According to level designer Steve Massey, Foundation replaced Spruce Knob as it was previously a "pretty boring workshop location" and it was selected due to its central location within the Savage Divide.