This poll is to gauge community support for a temporary name change of this wiki to "Fallout Wiki" for this to be fed back to the site admins and bureaucrats.
This change is intended to be temporary with a further poll to follow for a more permanent name and logo in the following weeks.
Why this change is required:
- IANAL but I understand it is legally questionable as to whether this site has the legal rights to the name "The Vault".
- Continuing to use this name creates discord amongst some of our more prolific members who might be willing to work on both wikis.
- It can prevent an Edit War over titles and logos; this edit war could result in otherwise good editors getting banned.
- "The Vault" is an identity within the fallout community that is closely aligned to people like Ausir and Porter who have thrown their full support into the new site.
- Continuing the old branding whilst a new site has the same name can create confusion between the two wikis.
- Changing branding allows this site to go in a different direction to The Vault; allowing both wikis a greater chance of success.
- "The Vault" does not appear to be used as the name of this wiki within Wikia in any case - the only advertisements and references to this wiki on other Wikia sites that I have seen refer to it as "Fallout Wiki" or "Fallout 3 Wiki" anyway.
Possible reasons against this change:
- The community has not yet had a reasonable chance to discuss a name or branding. To counter this the suggestion is that this change is only temporary
- A permanent change would require another vote. However it will continue to cause problems whilst this new name and brand is discussed.
- Agent c
- Nitty Tok.
- Tagaziel (call!)
- ToCxHawK 17:23, November 22, 2011 (UTC)
- 17:24, November 22, 2011 (UTC) --
- Gamerdude132 17:25, November 22, 2011 (UTC)
- Kastera (talk) 18:02, November 22, 2011 (UTC) --
- Limmiegirl 18:12, November 22, 2011 (UTC)
- "Say 'ello to my little friend!"
- Anon(Talk) 18:49, November 22, 2011 (UTC) --
- Chief Talk to meh. 21:10, November 22, 2011 (UTC)
Please hold on this discussion for now. The problem is that some of those likely to vote are also likely to be moving to the new wiki. That means they have a clear conflict of interest, although of course their intentions are honorable. Changing the name of this wiki could have significant effects, and so isn't something that should be decided with anything other than the good of this wiki in mind. It looks like we'll be talking to Ausir off-wiki about any possible legal implications, so please leave the status quo in place for now. Thanks. -- sannse (help forum | blog) 21:18, November 22, 2011 (UTC)
- I disagree completely. There is no problem with people being members of both wikis. I think this "with us or against us" attitude that seems to come with this post is disappointing. As for major effects I am this very second looking at an ad on the edit page for this wiki (clearly the most pointless place for said ad - encouraging me to visit a Wiki that the ad is posted on) which refers to us as "Fallout Wiki" (as it always has) - As such any change to "Fallout Wiki" is not a major change but merely reflecting current Wikia Practice. Lastly I hope Wikia choose to match their future actions with their "community consultation" retoric as in all honesty this could be your last chance to keep some regular users of one your better performing wikis. Agent c 21:37, November 22, 2011 (UTC)
- Likewise. I don't see the point in talking just to Ausir about the legal implications to this, it's a whole-wiki movement. Pushing the community to the sidelines seems counter-intuitive, and there's nothing that's stopping the people that don't want a name change from saying so as well. Nitty Tok. 22:23, November 22, 2011 (UTC)