| ||This forum page has been archived. Please do not make any further edits unless they are for maintenance purposes.|
Normally I have no issue with people linking to their favorite bands/songs/interests, but this auto-play music crap that's generally hidden at the bottom of everyone's page is extremely obnoxious. I didn't click on your user page to listen to death metal or whatever annoying thing you have set to auto-play.
Is there something that can be done about this? Having to scroll down and find the youtube player or turn off my speakers shouldn't be the answer.
This is a wiki, not myspace/facebook.
Thanks. 220.127.116.11 08:06, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Noone is forcing you to view the User Page. If you don't like it don't view the page. Just because it's music you don't like doesn't mean we should change the rules just for you. RehabReject 08:13, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Ok, I'll be sure not to report vandals and spammers to the admins because I don't want to hear the obnoxious music on their talk pages. Great arguement, bro! 18.104.22.168 08:14, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
A reply like that isn't going to help your case. No need to be rude.
They are not vandals or spammers just because they play music. It's their user page, the one place a user can do what they want. What is this, Wikifascism? We're not banning Autoplay just because they don't play Rihanna or Usher for you. RehabReject 08:18, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
The easy way: use the volume of your speakers.
another way: turn down the volume for the browser in the sound mixer (might need win7)
next possibility: use NoScript and dissable scripts from this pages.
//EDIT: Sorry for deleting one part of your post earlier Anon, it was an accident i did not notice until RehabReject pointed it out.
also RehabReject was that sound realy needed? --Loonix 08:19, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Also Loonix do you have no sense of humour or sarcasm? xD RehabReject 08:34, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Sometimes i think i do have those senses, but i rarely use them conciously to hurt/annoy/insult other people. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so do you? --Loonix 08:42, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Well, now that rehab has proven the maturity of a 12 year old with spamming links, trolling, and proving that the embedding of autoplay youtube videos is disruptive and obnoxious, anyone else care to comment? 22.214.171.124 08:51, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Oh God, are you still at it? RehabReject 08:54, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Here's the deal. Our user pages, we do as we wish.You make an account you're free to not add music, kay?
There's even little mute and pause buttons on the template for people who don't want to listen to it. Anyway, if you want top report someone, you just need to press the "Leave a new message button", which takes you in to edit mode. Seeing as in edit mode the music doesnt play, your problem is void.
More to the point, the rules are never going to change just because one anon doesnt like something. JASPER//"Do you like hurting other people?" 09:24, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
- @JASPER42 try visiting RehabReject's profile page or look at the history of this page and see for yourself. i think that kind of use should count as abuse.
For the 'none hidden' players i have to agree as long as they are limited to userpages or not set to autoplay (in case of weapon/situation sounds).--Loonix 09:31, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
Now, yes that may be true that hidden players cant be muted. However, why are you on his User page anyway? You'll be able to tell it's blank very quickly and it's not like you can push a button to take you else where is it?
Loon. People can put whatever they want on thier user pages (as long as it's not racist or sexist of something else-ist, and insult aimed at a user/group of users or porn.) It's not abuse as you're hardly forced to listen to it are you?
Yes, him putting it on here wasn't exactly called for, but MAGIC it's gone. This forum, is about not being allowed to add it to user pages. Rehab shouldn't have added it here, true. But it's gone now and he's been told not to do it. Now, I've got places to be. JASPER//"Do you like hurting other people?" 09:40, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
- Personally, I don't have a issue with such things being added to a users page. The fact is, user pages are considered to be the property of the user and there to play with as they see fit, with obvious exceptions of course. However, user talk pages are exempt from this rule and should by all rights follow the same rule set as for talk/forum pages in general. As such, the use of auto music players on these pages is boarder line. Personally, I do not like the inclusion of such players in talk pages of users. 21:49, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
There's probably an add-on for that. 126.96.36.199 21:50, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
I agree with Ghost regarding the talk page players. These can be irritating, but only because they are non-optional. I feel that optional ones, such as the one in my first archive that has now been there for 2 and a bit months, can lighten sifting through information. However, as the thread creator said, having to listen to music is not a good thing in my opinion, regardless of the type. On talk pages at least :). Just my view,
I haven't seen anyone with the player at the bottom of the page yet, I usually see them at the top. Either way, I just hit pause and then go about my business on the page and leave. Or stay and listen to the rest of the song if I find it interesting. Message 22:20, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
- Well, to give you an example. Today I have been investigating a few incidents. One of which meant I had to review a users contributions. So opening up there contributions in several tabs to review. Since they left several messages on a user page that had this player, resulted in the sound playing several times with a echo effect from the delay of opening each tab. This meant I had to waste time and put up with a dreadful noise while I scrolled down to turn off each player. This is why I personally hate them on user talk pages, among other reasons. 23:38, September 12, 2011 (UTC)
- Or you mute the volume button :) Also a solution. But as far I'm concerned, userprofile is ok, talkpage I like less.
- Yes I could. But since I have multiple screens and are usually watching something while I surf, this is hardly a practical solution. This is why I dislike it on talk pages, as more often than not it is required to visit user talk pages in the role of a Admin. I personally do not see a good reason why I should adjust to accommodate a user (who themselves are not benefiting from it, unless they are listening to there own talk page) for a page that has a practical use. 20:33, September 13, 2011 (UTC)
I have to agree with not having music on the talk-page. I've been actively considering getting rid of mine also and just leaving a song for my profile page. It does get a tad annoying when you continously visit a talk-page just to hear the same few seconds of song repeat before going in to add a comment. Skål! 21:06, September 13, 2011 (UTC)