|For the Fort Independence located in the Commonwealth, see The Castle.|
Fort Independence is the headquarters of the Brotherhood Outcasts in the Capital Wasteland in 2277, located west of Fairfax ruins and north of Andale. Upon the first arrival, the Brotherhood Outcasts fortifying Fort Independence are being ambushed by raiders from Fairfax ruins.
The Outcasts have adapted the old fort to their needs and restored much of its internal facilities. All of the technology they gather is stored within the fort, as are their research findings.
By default, the Outcasts inside are hostile to any trespassers. The fort is guarded on the outside by Defender Morgan, Defender Rockfowl and an automated defense turret. After the player character speaks with Defender Morgan about a job, Protector Casdin will open the perimeter fence's gate and encourage the Lone Wanderer to bring scavenged technology to them in exchange for supplies.
In the eastern section (the offices) on the main floor, there is a computer named "Field Reports" with two audio logs that can be downloaded (Fort Independence field reports #1 and #2). The first audio log speaks about "the increased raider activity in Fairfax ruins" and the second about "3 entrances into underground utility tunnels and a small weapons cache situated in the southeast section of the tunnels." The voice in the first recording seems to be unique, the other one is that of Defender Sibley.
- Miss Launcher, in the basement, as well as two mini nukes.
- There is a Nuka-Cola Quantum and a Stealth Boy in the central room on the main floor, next to some bunk beds.
- Alien power cells, can be obtained from ammo boxes in the locked storage room, next to the room with the research terminals.
- Fort Independence field reports - On a terminal in the Offices section.
- Six research notes, downloaded from six terminal in the lower level.
- A bottlecap mine on the workbench in the room with the chemistry sets and operating tables.
- Two unusually large empty syringes and one forceps are located in the medical room of the lower level.
- If any of the Brotherhood Outcasts with names are killed all other Brotherhood Outcasts will become hostile. If the Operation: Anchorage! quest is not yet completed, the Outcasts there will still be friendly while others will not.
- There is an Outcast Patrol spawn point on the western side of the bridge with the turret under it. Upon spawning, the patrol will proceed westward along the road.
- Up the highway there is an Enclave outpost. It is possible that Enclave patrols may attack and kill the Outcasts.
- The fort's unnamed Brotherhood Outcasts will yield fingers if killed by a player who has acquired the Lawbringer perk. Named ones, such as Protector Casdin, in contrast, will have ears if they are slain by a player with the Contract Killer perk.
- Often if the Lone Wanderer is seen coming in or out of Fort Independence without Protector Casdin giving permission to enter, as a reward for collected tech, all Outcasts will become hostile.
- Sometimes, if the player attempts to pickpocket an Outcast soldier inside Fort Independence and gets caught, they will become hostile while all the other Outcast soldiers will remain friendly.
- Sometimes, an Enclave Vertibird will perform a bombing run and most likely kill Protector Casdin and the other Outcasts guarding Fort Independence, allowing the player to loot the bodies without Karma loss. Several large explosions can be heard while traveling near Fort Independence when this happens.
- The name of this location is thematic since Outcasts have left Lyons' Brotherhood.
Fort Independence appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
The name Fort Independence was also the name of a real fort in California, used during the Owens Valley Indian War conflict.
After bringing Casdin tech to obtain the minimum amount of points for him and the Outcasts to trust the player, the doors to Fort Independence will still be locked and red (indicating trespassing). Breaking in will result in only Casdin becoming hostile if you go back outside. [verified]
- A solution is to pickpocket the key from Casdin and use it to gain entry while gaining a small amount of bad Karma.
- After hacking the turret controls under the bridge to remove its targeting system and then disabling it, sometimes the turret under the bridge will at first look stretched into the ground and allow player to walk through it, and then if reactivated will appear high above the bridge and be hard to see, even if aiming through a sniper scope. [verified]
- Defenders Morgan and Rockfowl will respawn right next to their corpses after the player has killed them. This glitch also applies to several of the unnamed Outcasts. [verified]
- Brotherhood Outcasts outside may shoot at the player if the player attempts to attack the approaching raiders with melee/unarmed weapons. [verified] When initially discovering the fort, the
- Sometimes upon discovery of the fort, the Brotherhood Outcasts may be hostile for no apparent reason. [verified]