Fort Defiance, formerly known as Allegheny Asylum, is a location in the Cranberry Bog region of Appalachia in 2102. It is located west of Watoga and east of the monorail elevator, on the edge of the boundary with the Savage Divide.
Allegheny Asylum was originally built in the mid-1800s as a treatment facility for the mentally ill. It became a center of controversy for having its patients misdiagnosed and institutionalized without significant presence of mental health issues, and secretly marketing "Lunatic Tourism" for paid visitors. Family members of the patients were not allowed to visit without paying expensive fees. The Charleston Herald exposed the asylum's unethical practices, which led to its closing on March 17, 2061 and all patients being issued a notice of expulsion. However, only a few patients were collected by their families and leaving many becoming homeless.
Following the Great War, a group of survivors (led by Clara Duran) briefly occupied Allegheny Asylum until abandoning it after being threatened by other hostile survivors. Eventually the Appalachian chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel claimed the asylum and converted it into Fort Defiance, their main base of operations, and abandoning their prior base at Camp Venture in July 2093.
On August 19, 2095, Thunder Mountain Power Plant was lost. Without the power it provided, the Brotherhood's defenses stopped functioning and Fort Defiance was eventually overwhelmed by Scorched, marking the demise of the Brotherhood in Appalachia. With the Brotherhood facing unwinnable odds, they held their ground until the very end along with one last push into the glassed cavern to destroy the main scorchbeast nest in the Bog. Having no chain of command at the fort, along with no communication with Roger Maxson due to satellite failure, there was no backup and only their duty to the Brotherhood. In 2098, the Appalachia Brotherhood of Steel chapter came to an end.
Outside the entrance is an automated surface to air missile which must be defended during Line in the Sand. The fort has four floors with the fourth one only accessible through an elevator protected by a laser grid which is unlocked by completing Recruitment Blues and obtaining a military ID card. The right wing is infested with ghouls and is mostly in disarray because the Brotherhood was never able to repair and clear out that section. A wendigo spawns in the room with the breaker panel.
- Fasnacht Man mask - In the second left room in the hallway to the right through the double doors on the second floor.
- 2 mini nukes - Third floor in the armory near the overseer's note.
- Power armor chassis with T-series armor pieces - On the fourth floor at one of the two power armor stations.
- Missile launcher - On the fourth floor in the room to the left of the kitchen.
- Random recipe - Can be found in the kitchen on the fourth floor.
- Large quantities of aluminium and ballistic fiber.
Holotapes and notesEdit
- BoS archive: ARP background - Holotape, found in the bedroom next to the kitchen on the fourth floor.
- Clara Duran's notes 11/77 - Can be found on a metal table in the third floors eastern hallway.
- Clara Duran's notes 12/77 - Can be found on a desk in a room of the third floor's eastern hallway.
- Clara Duran's notes 1/78 - Can be found in a third floor room near a collapsed section of floor in the eastern end of the building.
- Clara Duran's notes 3/78 - Can be found in a bedroom on the second floor to the right of the eastern stairway.
- De Silva's recon report - On a desk in the first room to the left of the front entrance.
- Elder Maxson's final conversation - Holotape, found on the fourth floor. It's in the room of Elizabeth Taggerdy on her desk.
- Final stand - A note that's pinned to a bulletin just off the front entryway.
- Gate guard primer - Note, pinned to the wall of the gate house on the southwestern edge of the location.
- Hospital report: Staff incident - Holotape, found on a desk in the first room to the right of the front entrance.
- Hospital report: Violent incident - Can be found on a desk in a room in an isolated part of the first floor that can be reached by a collapsed part of the second floor floor at the eastern end of the building.
- I am a knight - A note found in the bedroom across from the elevator on the fourth floor.
- Last of the Thunder - Note can be found on the fourth floor in one of the rooms.
- Mission 099-01 orders - A folder that can be found on a dresser in the bedroom next to the kitchen on the fourth floor during Heart of the Enemy.
- No more satellites - A note that can be found in a bunkroom on the third floor near the elevator.
- No way out - Note, on a shelf in a bunkroom on the third floor.
- Operation Watoga - Note, near the tinker's workbench on the third floor.
- Overseer's log - Allegheny - Holotape, close to the third floor elevator.
- Overseer's log - Fort Defiance - Holotape, close to the fourth floor elevator.
- Preservation of technology - Holotape, found on the third floor near the elevator.
- Squire Evelyn's journal - page 16 - Can be found in a bunkroom on the third floor.
- Sensor module specs - Holotape, found in the power armor station room on the fourth floor.
- Scribe Grant's plea - Holotape, found near a bulletin board just off the front entryway (near the Final stand note).
- The Nuclear Option - Holotape, found on the fourth floor in Paladin Taggerdy's room.
- Pool table rules - Note, in the break room, pinned to a wall.
- Notice of expulsion - Four, scattered near the front gates.
Fort Defiance appears only in Fallout 76.