|Minutemen main quest: Form Ranks|
|Talk to Preston Garvey.|
|Recruit 8 settlements.|
|Reward: 350 XP|
|Leads to: Defend the Castle|
After completing the quest Inside Job and getting Banished from the Institute, talk to Preston Garvey about how to take down the Institute. Garvey will state that the Minutemen are not strong enough to take on the Institute. They will need to recruit more settlements in order to have the manpower necessary to stand a chance.
This quest will stay active until the Sole Survivor has recruited eight settlements. If they have already recruited eight or more, then this quest will be skipped. To recruit settlements, listen to Radio Freedom or talk to Preston to receive information about settlements that have requested aid.
Once there are eight settlements, the Castle will come under attack by the Institute, triggering Defend the Castle.
- This quest is skipped and Defend the Castle starts instead once the Sole Survivor talks to Preston Garvey after completing Banished from the Institute if they have already established enough settlements during the course of the game.
- It is possible that when Form Ranks is skipped for Defend the Castle not to be initiated. Upon completing radiant quests for the minutemen they may be automatically completed without talking to Preston Garvey once the objective has been completed. This is likely due to the fact that Preston is at The Castle and after Form Ranks is skipped. Once the player fast travels to The Castle, they may meet Preston or Ronnie there to initiate Defend the Castle.
- If the Sole Survivor worked with the Brotherhood of Steel or the Railroad to complete The Molecular Level, they'll have to complete Inside Job, which becomes accessible right after starting this quest. Otherwise, this quest will never have enough settlements to finish.
- Completing Ad Victoriam will automatically complete this mission and Defend the Castle.
- The current number of Minutemen-aligned settlements (player-owned with at least one settler) to trigger the quest can be tested on the PC console with show MinutemenOwnedSettlements. As this value is only updated when you hand in a Minuteman recruitment or radiant quest to Preston, you may have more settlements that meet the criteria than the system recognizes.