A raider gang that has recently established themselves within the Commonwealth a few months ago, the Forged are a group of raiders obsessed with fire and metal, who have claimed the Saugus Ironworks for themselves. They are incredibly tough and feared, due to the brutal initiation rituals they undergo. Burns are a common feature distinguishing them from other raiders.
At first they had trouble with finding local recruits, as they would break under the pressure of the initiation rather than emerging stronger, which Slag referred to as "honing to an edge." Slag initially thought that he would have to abandon operations in the Commonwealth due to this lack of adequate recruits. This changed when he met their neighbors, the Gunners from the nearby Hub City Auto Wreckers, who were stronger and sharper than the average Commonwealth raiders. He convinced a few to attempt the trials, which they passed angering their Gunner leaders. The Gunners and the Forged initially fought over this dispute, but eventually negotiations were started. Once word spread of a raider gang that could hold their own against the Gunners, more recruits wished to join.
The Forged are cruel and sadistic, showing no mercy to outsiders, members, or recruits. Candidates must pass several trials to prove their worth before becoming one of the Forged. No details about what these trials consist of can be found, but failure is met with death. Initiates must change their name to a "tougher" nickname, typically one that invokes fire and machinery. A terminal lists a number of individuals who "failed the forge" either during or after the initiation trials, including "Arsenic," "Chamber," "Damage," "Duke," "Hood," "Havoc," "Rampart," "Rife," "Riptide" and "Viper." One candidate, Yancey, was killed for refusing to change their name.
Mutilation, branding, and death are used as punishment. For example, crying out in pain is punished with amputation and exile, while allowing enemies to flee results in branding and exile. Sleeping during one's watch results in blinding and exile. Death as punishment results from fleeing from enemies, cheating or crying during the trials, stealing rations or giving any form of support to the enemy. Retribution for refusal to follow orders include executing the offender's family along with exile.
The Forged are affiliated with at least one raider company as seen by the presence of Bedlam in the Dunwich Borers. The terminal in the area where she can be found contains her writings, commenting on the raiders' failed metal production for the Forged to their displeasure, and her regard for them as subordinates.
Depending on the Sole Survivor's choices in handling other raider gangs in the Commonwealth before encountering the Forged, Slag will comment on these choices via his terminal. If Libertalia is destroyed, he will remark that it is not a great feat to destroy those who are weak, and would like to see those individuals face the Forged. If Bosco is killed, he will comment that someone killed the lunatic, and that the Commonwealth people are stronger than he thought. If the Corvega assembly plant is cleared, Slag will write that he doubts that the location's leader Jared was even sober enough to enjoy the fight.
The Forged utilize predominantly fire-based weapons, such as flamers and Molotov cocktails. Occasionally they can be found wielding laser pistols or rifles, usually modified to deal fire damage. For melee attacks, the Forged tend to use sledgehammers and rarely super sledges. The Forged leader Slag uses the Shishkebab.
Unlike most raider gangs in the Commonwealth, the Forged do not use traditional raider armor. Instead, they wear full-body cage or spike armor, as well as with the occasional drifter outfit. Slag is the only member of the Forged who possesses power armor.[Non-game 1]
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
- Out of the Fire: Speaking with Abraham Finch at Finch farm reveals that he and his family have been having problems with the Forged. Abraham will then share that his son, Jake, recently ran off to join them, and took the family's pre-War sword with him. The quest involves retrieving the sword, and if possible, Jake.
- Slag - Leader of the Forged. He uses power armor and wields the rare Shishkebab.
- Bedlam - The raider leader at Dunwich Borers who works for Slag.
- Deceased prospects and members
- The Forged are generated from the same stat table as generic raiders. As a result, they have the same S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats and number of hit points, but they use atypical weapons and armor that is generally superior to that used by most low-to-mid level raiders.
- The Forged can sometimes be encountered other locations apart from from Saugus Ironworks.
The Forged appear only in Fallout 4.
- The Sole Survivor: "What happened between them?"
Daniel Finch: "They've been at it for years, but this last time may have been the breaking point. The Forged moved into the ironworks not long ago and started recruiting. At first things were fine, but recently they've started raiding. Jake told us he was thinking about joining them. Said he'd send back supplies to us so Dad and Mom wouldn't have to work so hard. You can probably guess how well that went over with my Pa. Sorry, I know this isn't really your problem. I'll be around if you're looking to trade."
(Daniel Finch's dialogue)
- The Sole Survivor: "Can you tell me anything else about The Forged?"
Abraham Finch: " "
(Abraham Finch's dialogue)
- Abraham Finch: " "
The Sole Survivor: "Who are the Forged?"
Abraham Finch: " "
(Abraham Finch's dialogue)
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Slag's terminal, Weak
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Slag's terminal, Progress
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Yancey
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Arsenic
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Rampart
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Rife
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Damage
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Chamber
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Riptide
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Hood
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Havoc
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Viper
- Dunwich Borers terminal entries; Bedlam's terminal, Cleaning house
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Slag's terminal, Bedlam
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Libertalia
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Bosco
- Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Corvega
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide p. 35: "Forged
The Forged are similar to Raiders, set apart only by their small numbers and fanatic obsession with the destructive power of fire. These enemies can only be found in and around the Saugus Ironworks, and they'll attack any and all trespassers on sight. Most Forged wear some form of cage armor, spiked armor, or Drifter outfit. Even when combined with a piece of headgear, a typical Forged has fairly low resistances. However, the Forged do carry a wide variety of weapons. Those who favor melee weapons tend to use baseball bats, sledgehammers, and even the occasional super sledge. They also have access to a large selection of pistols, rifles, and flamers, and most Forged carry a supply of Molotov cocktails. Because Forged are limited to a single location, there's no need to engage them until you're adequately prepared. Forged are most effective at short to medium range, so it's usually best to pick them off from a distance. When that's not an option, be sure to watch for incoming Molotov cocktails as you deal with incoming Forged."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Groups, Gangs, and Factions)