A raider gang that has recently established themselves within the Commonwealth a few months ago, the Forged are a group of raiders obsessed with fire and metal, who have claimed the Saugus Ironworks for themselves. They are incredibly tough and feared, due to the brutal initiation rituals they undergo. Burns are a common feature distinguishing them from other raiders.
At first they had trouble with finding local recruits, as they would break under the pressure of the initiation rather than emerging stronger, which Slag referred to as "honing to an edge." Slag initially thought that he would have to abandon operations in the Commonwealth due to this lack of adequate recruits. This changed when he met their neighbors, the Gunners from the nearby Hub City Auto Wreckers, who were stronger and sharper than the average Commonwealth raiders. He convinced a few to attempt the trials, which they passed angering their Gunner leaders. The Gunners and the Forged initially fought over this dispute, but eventually negotiations were started. Once word spread of a raider gang that could hold their own against the Gunners, more recruits wished to join.
The Forged are affiliated with at least one raider gang as seen by the presence of Bedlam in Dunwich Borers. The terminal in the area where she can be found contains her writings, commenting on the raiders' failed metal production for the Forged to their displeasure, and her regard for them as subordinates. 
The Forged are cruel and sadistic, showing no mercy to outsiders or even their fellow Forged. New recruits must pass several trials to prove their worth before becoming one of the Forged. No details about what these trials consist of can be found, only that they are extremely brutal, with failure ending in death. Once initiates pass these trials, they must change their name to a "tougher" nickname, typically one that invokes fire and machinery. One terminal lists a number of members who failed the Forged in the past with names such as "Arsenic," "Chamber," "Damage," "Duke," "Hood," "Havoc," "Rampart," "Rife," "Riptide" and "Viper" (one former member, Yancey was killed for refusing to change their name). Their laws are simple, yet brutal, with mutilation and branding being the least severe punishment. For example, crying out in pain is punished with amputation of the wounded limb (problematic for those with head wounds) and exile, while allowing enemies to flee usually only results in branding and exile. A step above is sleeping during one's watch, which results in blinding (eyes are fed to mirelurks) and exile. Death as punishment starts at refusing to adopt a new name for the Forged (thrown into the furnace), crying out or cheating during the trials (furnace), stealing rations (molten iron poured down the offender's throat) or giving any form of support to the enemy (flaying alive). Particularly cruel are retributions for refusal to follow orders: The Forged execute the offender's family and exile them.
The Forged are affiliated with at least one raider company as seen by the presence of Bedlam in the Dunwich Borers. The terminal in the area where she can be found contains her writings, commenting on the raiders' failed metal production for the Forged to their displeasure, and her regard for them as subordinates. This is likely a relationship in which the Forged are violently dominant.
To compliment their fire theme, the Forged utilizes predominantly fire-based weapons, such as flamers and Molotov cocktails. Occasionally they can be found wielding laser pistols or rifles, usually modified to deal fire damage. For melee attacks, the Forged tend to use sledgehammers and rarely super sledges. The Forged leader Slag uses a Shishkebab.
Unlike most raider gangs in the Commonwealth, the Forged do not use traditional raider armor. Instead, they wear full-body cage or spike armor, as well as with the occasional drifter outfit. Slag is the only member of the Forged who possesses power armor.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is involved in quests.|
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
This quest can be started by speaking with Abraham Finch, who can be found in the settlement Finch farm, a small settlement near the eastern coast. After speaking with Abraham, the Sole Survivor will be told that he and his family have been having problems with a nearby group of raiders known as "The Forged." Abraham will then share that his son, Jake, recently ran off to join them, and took the family's pre-War sword with him. The quest involves retrieving the sword, and if possible, Jake.
The Forged are based out of Saugus Ironworks, which is just north of the Finch farm. Once having entered the main building and dispatched the numerous Forged equipped with melee weapons, Molotov cocktails, and flamers, the player character will proceed to the Saugus blast furnace. After entering this small area, the Sole Survivor is greeted with a conversation between themselves, Abraham's son Jake and Slag, the leader of the Forged.
During this conversation, Slag tries to convince Jake to kill a helpless settler in order to become one of the Forged. The Sole Survivor has the option of trying to talk him out of it, encouraging him to do it, or deciding to kill everyone in the room. Any attempt to talk him into walking away or killing the settler requires a variable difficulty persuasion attempt.
After the ensuing combat is resolved, retrieve the Shishkebab from Slag's corpse and return to Finch's farm, with Jake if he survived the battle, or without him if he sided against the Sole Survivor. If Jake survives, he will attempt to patch things up with his father. Abraham will be grateful to have his son back, despite being originally dismissive of him earlier, and will allow keeping the Shishkebab as a reward.
- Slag - Leader of the Forged. He carries a rare Shishkebab weapon wears power armor.
- Jake Finch - A possible enemy or an ally during the quest Out of the Fire. If convinced to not kill the prisoner, Jake will fight alongside the Sole Survivor. Otherwise, he will be an enemy.
- Bedlam - The raider leader at Dunwich Borers who works for Slag.
- Pyro - A member of the Forged who can be found southeast of Listening Post Bravo.
Failed Forged membersEdit
- The Forged are generated from the same stat table as regular raiders; as a result, they have the same S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stats and number of hit points, but they use atypical weapons and armor that is generally superior to that used by most low-to-mid level raiders.
- The Forged can rarely be encountered away from Saugus Ironworks.
- The Forged can be a rather challenging fight for low-level player characters since their fire-based weapons deal large amounts of damage over time.
The Forged appear only in Fallout 4.
- ↑ The Sole Survivor: "What happened between them?"
Daniel Finch: "They've been at it for years, but this last time may have been the breaking point. The Forged moved into the ironworks not long ago and started recruiting. At first things were fine, but recently they've started raiding. Jake told us he was thinking about joining them. Said he'd send back supplies to us so Dad and Mom wouldn't have to work so hard. You can probably guess how well that went over with my Pa. Sorry, I know this isn't really your problem. I'll be around if you're looking to trade."
- ↑ The Sole Survivor: "Can you tell me anything else about The Forged?"
Abraham Finch: " "
- ↑ Abraham Finch: " "
The Sole Survivor: "Who are the Forged?"
Abraham Finch: " "
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Slag's terminal, Weak
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Slag's terminal, Progress
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; Slag's terminal, Bedlam
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Arsenic
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Chamber
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Damage
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Duke
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Hood
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Havoc
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Rampart
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Rife
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Riptide
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Viper
- ↑ Saugus Ironworks terminal entries; terminal, Yancey
- ↑ Dunwich Borers terminal entries; Bedlam's terminal, Cleaning house