|For an overview of flare gun models, see flare gun.|
A short-barreled, breech-loading signal pistol which can also be used as a weapon. It launches its projectile in an arc, and can be used for long-range indirect fire when aimed outside of V.A.T.S. After damage caused by the initial hit, affected targets will take additional fire damage for a short time.
The flare gun also has the ability to frighten abomination-type creatures. While on fire, they will attempt to flee from the player, but will resume their normal behavior once extinguished. Note also that a fleeing creature may run right at and past the player if there is no other line of escape, but will not attack while on fire. The flare gun does not inflict much damage to them however, don't rely on it too much.
The flare gun is an improved holdout weapon.
The flare gun can fire a total of about 245 times, the equivalent of 245 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Can be found on various marked men around the Divide.
- In emergency kits scattered about the Divide.
- One in the municipal sewers, near the destroyed eyebot.
- Abominations frightened by the effects of the flare gun include deathclaws, centaurs, night stalkers, and tunnelers.
- Firing the flare gun at Mr. House results in the "The abomination panics and flees!" message, but nothing else happens, as Mr. House is unable to move.
- "S.A.M.T. Torino Mod. 00" is stamped on the flare gun.
- Several marked men who have the gun on them are scripted to fire the gun towards the sky, suggesting that they are trying to signal for help from other marked men. Otherwise, they will be used to attack the player.
- The message "The abomination panics and flees!" will appear even if the player character is not the one using the flare gun. This can be seen if one of the marked men in the Wastewater treatment plant that are fighting a group of tunnelers is equipped with a flare gun.
Behind the scenes
The object effect is named "Burninate All the Peoples," a reference to Strong Bad's Trogdor song in Homestar Runner.